M-Curves: Representations & Properties of C^oo Manifolds

Isoperimetric inequalities are among the most important of all inequalities, and the proof of isoperimetric inequalities requires the use of many very deep ideas from differential geometry. I think that the best practical applications of isoperimetric inequalities would be in the field of design of experiments.
brown042
Let q and q' be sufficiently close points on C^oo manifold M.
Then is it true that any C^oo curve c:[a,b]-->M where c(a)=q, c(q)=q' can be represented as c(t)=exp[tex]_{q}[/tex](u(t)v(t)) where u:[a,b]-->R,v:[a,b]-->TM[tex]_{q}[/tex] and ||v||=1?

My question comes from Chapter 9 corollary 16 and 17 of Spivak vol1.
In the proof of corollary 17 I think he assumes this fact.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone has idea?

First, if v is a vector field, which we consider as a first order partial linear differential operator on the ring of smooth functions on our Riemannian manifold, its exponential gives the family of integral curves, in the language of first order linear systems of ODEs. Anyone who has seen very many of my PF posts know that I am constantly yakking about integral curves. I used to also frequently mention the word "exponential", but more recently I've been trying to "dumb down" my posts. Why so many technical terms? Because there are different motivations for the various usages, and understanding how the notion of a vector field, in the modern theory of manifolds, unifies numerous apparently distinct concepts with venerable histories is crucially important! So tossing around all these terms can actually help those students who aren't frightened off.

We are investigating Gaussian charts (introduced in his Oct 1827 paper) on some neighborhood of a point q. In Spivak's account, Lemma 15 constructs concentric "spheres" around q. Corollaries 16, 17 concern "local properties" of geodesic curves. What part of the proof wasn't clear?

Last edited:
So it was just smoothness of exponential map and ODE fact!.
Proof is clear now. So you don't like the word "exponential map" because it is a technical term?
I am interested in differential geometry and reading Spivak's book. Sometimes I wonder if it is necessary to study all the materials in the book.
If you have any more personal opinion on studying differential geometry or topology, I would like to hear it!
Thanks.

brown042 said:
So you don't like the word "exponential map" because it is a technical term?

I didn't say any such thing! Please reread what I wrote :grumpy:

brown042 said:
I am interested in differential geometry and reading Spivak's book. Sometimes I wonder if it is necessary to study all the materials in the book.

If you are goal is to master differential geometry, sure that (five-volume) book and many more.

brown042 said:
If you have any more personal opinion on studying differential geometry or topology, I would like to hear it!

It's fun? :smile:

If I may, I would like to use this thread to ask you a question Chris. I am aware that manifolds pop up in various branches of math a physics, but when does DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY on those manifold occur?

General relativity aside, what is a practical application of the lie derivative? Of the covariant derivative? Of Paul-Levi's Isoperimetric inequality. You get the idea.

I'm sure there are many, but I would like to get specific examples. Thanks!

Much of the theory of topological manifolds would fall outside the scope of differential geometry, but possibly within the scope of differential topology. The theory of smooth manifolds would probably be considered to belong to the huge field of differential geometry. The theory of manifolds includes both topological and smooth manifolds. These are all somewhat informal terms, and for many other reasons it's impossible to precisely pigeonhole any of these topics!

Practical applications of Lie derivative are too numerous to list, but for example Lie's theory of symmetry of differential equations has highly applicable applications in applied mathematics as well as pure mathematics (e.g. Cartan's far-reaching program for classifying virtually kind of "geometric" structures which can be placed on a smooth manifold). Similarly for covariant derivative, but to mention something which comes up quite a bit, this has applications to the theory of robot motion planning and to robotic vision. And without inequalities, mathematics would be stuck in a very primitive stage indeed.

1. What is an M-curve?

An M-curve is a mathematical object that represents a smooth, continuous curve in a space. It is also known as a C^oo manifold, which means that it is infinitely differentiable at every point.

2. What are the properties of M-curves?

M-curves have several important properties, including being smooth and continuous, having a well-defined tangent vector at every point, and being able to be parametrized by a single variable. They also have a dimension, which is the number of independent variables needed to describe them.

3. How are M-curves represented?

M-curves can be represented in a variety of ways, such as algebraic equations, parametric equations, or as a set of points. They can also be represented graphically using a coordinate system.

4. What are the applications of M-curves?

M-curves have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to describe the motion of objects in space, model fluid dynamics, and understand the behavior of systems in the natural world. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth, realistic curves and surfaces.

5. How are M-curves different from other types of curves?

M-curves are different from other types of curves, such as piecewise curves or fractal curves, because they are infinitely differentiable and have a well-defined tangent vector at every point. This means that they can be extended to higher dimensions and used to describe more complex systems. They also have certain topological properties, such as being orientable and having a well-defined boundary.