Why Sun Glasses Don't Have Power

• Thread starter Himanshu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Sun
In summary: OP was saying that sun glasses don't have power because they're not corrective. I misunderstood. I think the OP meant that sunglasses don't have power because they don't change what the person sees, which is true for reading glasses but not for sunglasses that are meant to block out the sun.
Himanshu
This question was asked today in my physics examination.

Sun Glasses do not have power. Why?

I know that the main function of Sun Glasses is to reduce the intensity of light by polarisation. Therefore there no need for them to have power.

Or is it something else.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sun glasses absorb sunlight, so they do dissipate heat.

russ_watters said:
Sun glasses absorb sunlight, so they do dissipate heat.

So then how is heat dissipation related to the power of Sun Glasses.

Himanshu said:

What do you mean by "power"?

Himanshu said:

I know that the main function of Sun Glasses is to reduce the intensity of light by polarisation. Therefore there no need for them to have power.

Or is it something else.

Some sun glasses are polarized and this is done to reduce the intensity of reflected light, primarily from surfaces such as snow or water.

All sunglasses absorb some degree of light. This is especially important in the UV range. Generally the darkness of the lenses indicate this, although the color also affects this.

Sunglasses may also have magnification. This may result from a prescription or simply from a slight magnification that is added in for old eyes (as in my welding goggles).

There are also electrochromic glasses that darken when a voltage is applied, usually as the result of a light sensor signal.

Exactly what kind of power are you referring to?

I think the OP means optical ,ie refractive, "power"
Where optical power is the inverse focal length, usually in dioptres.

Sunglasses don't have power because they don't, ideally, change the image seen by the eye.

He is referring to corrective power, and of course off-the-shelf sun glasses are plano. They have to be, as most people do not need their vision corrected. My prescription sunglasses do have a non-zero corrective power.

D H said:
He is referring to corrective power, and of course off-the-shelf sun glasses are plano. They have to be, as most people do not need their vision corrected. My prescription sunglasses do have a non-zero corrective power.

That was my initial thought as well, but I'm not sure what the OP intended.

mgb_phys said:
I think the OP means optical ,ie refractive, "power"
Where optical power is the inverse focal length, usually in dioptres.

Sunglasses don't have power because they don't, ideally, change the image seen by the eye.

But they do. Granted, the $2 ones from Wal-Mart have no optical power, but reading sunglasses, including bifocals, are widely sold starting at less than $20.

TVP45 said:
But they do. Granted, the $2 ones from Wal-Mart have no optical power, but reading sunglasses, including bifocals, are widely sold starting at less than $20.

Just because they use the same word, does not mean they have the same meaning. Do not fall into this trap.

The "power" as used in reading glasses have more to do with the focal length or how much focusing distance. Read mgb_phys post. This is not the same "power" as defined in mechanics.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Just because they use the same word, does not mean they have the same meaning. Do not fall into this trap.

The "power" as used in reading glasses have more to do with the focal length or how much focusing distance. Read mgb_phys post. This is not the same "power" as defined in mechanics.

Zz.

Zz,

I miss your point. If, as mgb_phys said, the OP intended optical power (or diopter), I agree that has nothing to do with power as defined in mechanics. I was questioning the original question which appeared to start with a false premise that sun glasses have no optical power. I own sunglasses with optical power (by prescription), and many optical stores, and others such as birding stores, sell bifocal sunglasses with plano uppers and lowers having (typically) 1.25, 1.50, 1.75, 2.00, ...

Wow - it seemed like such a simple question.
I think the answer the examiner was looking for is that - for people with normal eyesight the sunglasses shouldn't have any optical effect, other than to darken things!
To achieve this pefectly, the glasses would have to be a parallel spherical meniscus centred on each eyeball with a radius of curvature equal to the distance to the centre of the eyeball.

TVP45 said:
Zz,

I miss your point. If, as mgb_phys said, the OP intended optical power (or diopter), I agree that has nothing to do with power as defined in mechanics. I was questioning the original question which appeared to start with a false premise that sun glasses have no optical power. I own sunglasses with optical power (by prescription), and many optical stores, and others such as birding stores, sell bifocal sunglasses with plano uppers and lowers having (typically) 1.25, 1.50, 1.75, 2.00, ...

Oh, sorry. I read it differently.

Zz.

Being an engineer, when I saw "power", I immediately thought the thermodynamic kind...

russ_watters said:
Being an engineer, when I saw "power", I immediately thought the thermodynamic kind...

Now, that is an interesting question. Perhaps he meant that? I think sunglasses might not be an issue there, but large tinted windows are said to sometimes build up heat (ancedotal and may also be the result of a goofy mixture with the metallic films).

A simple, back-of-the-envelope calculation says a pair of Elton John sunglasses on Miami Beach in July absorbs maybe 1W. That's not enough to worry about, so maybe that is the question?? If so, it's very clever; the actual numbers would require a lot of detail. hmm?

I took it to mean why they weren't powered by an external source. In that light, as TVP45 pointed out, some are. I'm only aware of welding helmets in that category, but it could certainly be applied to sunglasses if someone wanted to.

1. Why don't sunglasses have power?

Sunglasses are designed to protect the eyes from harmful UV rays and glare, not to correct vision. The lenses in sunglasses are not made with the same prescription power as eyeglasses, so they cannot correct vision problems.

2. Can I use sunglasses instead of prescription glasses?

No, sunglasses are not a substitute for prescription glasses. They do not have the same power and cannot correct vision problems. Wearing sunglasses instead of prescription glasses can actually strain your eyes and make vision worse.

3. Do all sunglasses have the same amount of power?

No, sunglasses do not have any power at all. They are simply tinted lenses that reduce the amount of light that enters the eye. Some sunglasses may have polarized lenses, which can reduce glare, but they do not have any power to correct vision.

4. Is it possible to get prescription sunglasses?

Yes, it is possible to get sunglasses with prescription lenses. These are called prescription sunglasses and are made with the same prescription power as eyeglasses. They are a great option for those who need vision correction and want to protect their eyes from the sun.

5. Why do some people wear sunglasses indoors?

Some people may wear sunglasses indoors for medical reasons, such as sensitivity to light or eye conditions that require protection from bright light. Others may wear them for fashion or personal preference. However, it is not recommended to wear sunglasses indoors unless medically necessary, as it can make it difficult to see in low light conditions.