Integrating sin^4(2x): An Alternative Method | No Reduction Formulas Required

In summary, integrating sin^4(2x) without using reduction formulas may seem impossible at first. However, by expressing sin^4(2x) as (sin^2(2x))^2 and cos^2(4x) as (1+cos(8x))/2, it is possible to integrate the function. However, the original post mentioned not using reduction formulas, so it may not be a desired method.
ookt2c

Homework Statement

How do you integrate sin^4(2x) without the reduction formulas. seems impossible

Homework Equations

i think you have to use integration by parts?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can. At least, not without essentially deriving the reduction formulas in the process (assuming you're referring to reduction formulas of Ssin^m(x) cos^j(x))

expressing sin^4(2x)=(sin^2(2x))^2=(1-cos^2(4x))/2, and then do the same for cos^2(4x)=(1+cos(8x))/2
i do not see why this would be impossible?

sutupidmath said:
expressing sin^4(2x)=(sin^2(2x))^2=(1-cos^2(4x))/2, and then do the same for cos^2(4x)=(1+cos(8x))/2
i do not see why this would be impossible?
The original post said "without the reduction formulas". I doubt there is any and don't really see why one would care.

HallsofIvy said:
The original post said "without the reduction formulas". I doubt there is any and don't really see why one would care.

Oh, sorry, i did not know that these are called "reduction formulas", my bad!

1. What is difficult integration?

Difficult integration refers to the process of finding the antiderivative or integral of a function that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques.

2. What makes integration difficult?

Integration can be difficult due to various reasons such as the complexity of the function, the lack of known antiderivatives, or the presence of special functions or constants.

3. How can one approach difficult integration problems?

One can approach difficult integration problems by using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, partial fractions, or trigonometric identities.

4. Are there any tools or software that can help with difficult integration?

Yes, there are several tools and software available that can help with difficult integration problems such as Wolfram Alpha, Maple, or Mathematica. These tools use advanced algorithms and computational methods to solve difficult integrals.

5. Is it important for a scientist to be able to solve difficult integration problems?

Yes, it is important for a scientist to have a good understanding of integration techniques and be able to solve difficult integration problems as it is a fundamental concept in many fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.