Most Ridiculous Sports

• Thread starter lah214
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sports
In summary, the conversation included a discussion about the most ridiculous sport someone has heard of, with suggestions such as curling, ring-ball, sumo wrestling with one leg, and chess boxing. Other unusual sports mentioned were kayak polo, lawn darts, waterfall climbing, ball badminton, and wife carrying. The conversation also touched on synchronized swimming, hockey (when fighting was allowed), and golf. Some of the most bizarre sports mentioned were cheese rolling, foot volleyball, and playing basketball on trampolines.
lah214
So, I have to do a two page essay on a sport for my gym class (I don't know why). It has to be an official sport, but I don't want to do something like soccer or basketball.

Whats the most ridiculous sport you've heard of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curling.

Sorry, Canada.

How about ring-ball, where the losing team is subject to human sacrifice?

When I was in China watching TV in my hotel room I saw this strange competition that was a sumo match in principle though the only difference was that each participant had to hold one leg off the ground, with their knee up against their chest. I have no idea what it was called though. It was pretty funny to watch anyway.

Football.

*edit* Just to clarify, I don't mean rugby or soccer.

Last edited:
No matter what or where it is, sport is sport

lisab said:
Curling.

Sorry, Canada.

What?! :bugeye: Curling is great!

Crud has to be the most ridiculous sport I've played.

The rules to Crud

It may not be appropriate for your gym class if you're still in high school. You usually have to be at least 21 to play crud.

I was always very good at it and my call sign was "Jacques" (I had a bad incident with a jacuzzi). The only bad thing about playing it is the damage to your clothes (the gouges in your skin heel a lot faster than rips in clothing).

Interesting trivia: The Broomstones Curling Club in Wayland, MA plays crud!

Last edited:
sean1234 said:
When I was in China watching TV in my hotel room I saw this strange competition that was a sumo match in principle though the only difference was that each participant had to hold one leg off the ground, with their knee up against their chest. I have no idea what it was called though. It was pretty funny to watch anyway.

Sumo wresting also seems ridiculous

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Crud has to be the most ridiculous sport I've played.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

From Bob's crud link:

This boisterous game is usually only played in a military mess as the management of most public establishments would not normally condone contact sports and the apparent abuse of their equipment.

lisab said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

From Bob's crud link:

To watch it, you'd think first graders invented it, but that's not the case.

Canadians invented it.

They invent all the cool sports like Crud, Curling, and Hockey.

lisab said:
Curling.

Sorry, Canada.

HAHAHAHA yes.

Kayak polo is weird, never played but as a kayaker, I can imagine...

Considering that there are now "professional" video gamers, how precisely are you defining "sport"?

I Googled "unusual sports" and found this...
http://www.topendsports.com/events/discontinued/unusual.htm" [Broken]

Yes, Sean1234, so hilarious.

For some reason I've never been a big fan of synchronized swimming.

I would much rather see womens fast pitch softball. But this is the last year for softball in the Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing" [Broken]

Lawn darts

Waterfall climbing.

You wait for winter. The waterfall freezes and you climb the ice to the top.

That's ice climbing not waterfall climbing. They do it in Ouray every year.

Phlogistonian said:

:bugeye:

I've got no idea what it is called, but I once saw a version of basketball made for men who can't jump. The court surrounding the hoops was made of trampolines.

Some guys at my college play ball badminton, a mix of badminton and tennis. They use racqets similar to those used in badminton and tennis balls. There is a badminton height net and about 6 people in each team. The court is also very short.

The way they play is most hilarious. Since you have to hit the ball very gently to keep the ball in play, you can witness what might appear to be teams of damsels from the Victorian age trying to play tennis! Needless to say, there are annual tournaments played with great gusto, not to mention charm ;)

Phlogistonian said:

It would even be funnier if they had to keep on their boxing gloves when playing chess :smile:

Hockey when they allowed fighting was pretty insane.

synchronised swimming.

matthyaouw said:
I've got no idea what it is called, but I once saw a version of basketball made for men who can't jump. The court surrounding the hoops was made of trampolines.

Ohhh I remember this... What was it called... ahh. Ohh slamball! I think it'd be fun to mess around on one of the courts.

There are some really strange events out there, but the world championships inhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_carrying" [Broken] must be one of the weirdest.
Dennis Rodman participated a few years ago, although he was allowed to borrow a wife...

I almost forgot! [URL [Broken] rolling[/url]
From the top of the hill a round of Double Gloucester cheese is rolled, and competitors race down the hill after it. The first person over the finish line at the bottom of the hill wins the cheese. In theory, competitors are aiming to catch the cheese, but since it has a one second head start and can reach speeds up to 70 mph (enough to knock over and injure a spectator as it did in 1997), this rarely occurs.
2007 event video
2008 event video

Why has no one mentioned golf? As a game, it's not so bad. I've been playing it poorly for a few years now. But if you want to call it a sport, it's got to be the most ridiculous. See what I mean:

http://www.particleman.org/2003/10/the_most_ridiculous_sport_but.html" [Broken]

http://sammonsays.com/artman/publish/printer_Golf-column.shtml" [Broken]

not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but I've seen videos in china of people playing volleyball of a sort with a smaller ball and they play with their feet, legs and head... pretty amazing stuff... I've seen guys do complete backflips while spiking the ball over the net with their feet.

out of whack said:
Why has no one mentioned golf? As a game, it's not so bad. I've been playing it poorly for a few years now. But if you want to call it a sport, it's got to be the most ridiculous. See what I mean:

http://www.particleman.org/2003/10/the_most_ridiculous_sport_but.html" [Broken]

http://sammonsays.com/artman/publish/printer_Golf-column.shtml" [Broken]

+1, there's no 'sport' factor , never tried it but I think I'm right.

<h2>1. What makes a sport "ridiculous"?</h2><p>A sport is considered "ridiculous" when it involves unusual or unconventional rules, equipment, or gameplay that may seem strange or comical to others.</p><h2>2. Are there any benefits to participating in "ridiculous" sports?</h2><p>Yes, participating in "ridiculous" sports can still provide physical exercise and promote teamwork and social interaction, even if the sport itself may seem silly.</p><h2>3. How do "ridiculous" sports impact the perception of traditional sports?</h2><p>Some argue that "ridiculous" sports can bring attention and increase interest in traditional sports, while others believe they can undermine the seriousness and integrity of traditional sports.</p><h2>4. What are some examples of "ridiculous" sports?</h2><p>Some examples of "ridiculous" sports include cheese rolling, wife carrying, and extreme ironing.</p><h2>5. Is there any scientific research on the effects of participating in "ridiculous" sports?</h2><p>There is limited research on the specific effects of participating in "ridiculous" sports, but studies have shown that engaging in physical activity and having fun can have positive impacts on mental and physical well-being.</p>

1. What makes a sport "ridiculous"?

A sport is considered "ridiculous" when it involves unusual or unconventional rules, equipment, or gameplay that may seem strange or comical to others.

2. Are there any benefits to participating in "ridiculous" sports?

Yes, participating in "ridiculous" sports can still provide physical exercise and promote teamwork and social interaction, even if the sport itself may seem silly.

3. How do "ridiculous" sports impact the perception of traditional sports?

Some argue that "ridiculous" sports can bring attention and increase interest in traditional sports, while others believe they can undermine the seriousness and integrity of traditional sports.

4. What are some examples of "ridiculous" sports?

Some examples of "ridiculous" sports include cheese rolling, wife carrying, and extreme ironing.

5. Is there any scientific research on the effects of participating in "ridiculous" sports?

There is limited research on the specific effects of participating in "ridiculous" sports, but studies have shown that engaging in physical activity and having fun can have positive impacts on mental and physical well-being.