Are these CHEM courses too much to take?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking multiple CHEM courses in one year, specifically for a student studying Biotechnology. The courses mentioned are Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, Introductory Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry I, Introductory Organic Chemistry I, and Introductory Organic Chemistry II. The student is concerned about the workload and balancing it with other courses, and also asks about which courses have labs. The conversation concludes that while it may be challenging, it is possible to do well in these courses with proper time management and seeking advice from a program advisor.
BioCore
Hi,

I was wondering if studying these CHEM courses all in the same year would be too much for a person that is studying Biotechnology, and thus I am taking 4 other Biology courses with another needed humanities credit.

The CHEM courses are:
  1. Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
  2. Introductory Physical Chemistry
  3. Inorganic Chemistry I
  4. Introductory Organic Chemistry I
  5. Introductory Organic Chemistry II

Now (1), (3), and (4) are in the same semester and the other two are in the next semester. Is this though still too tough to take in the same year or is possible to obtain a good grade, which is somewhere in the range of 80%+? Or am I just being way too foolish?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which classes have labs?

That would be:
1. Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
2. Introductory Physical Chemistry
3. Inorganic Chemistry I
4. Introductory Organic Chemistry II

Looking at the the timetable for my school, these courses all have PRACTICAL times which are Lab times in this case. I am also taking 4 BIO courses in which one of them has labs and the other is pure lab course.

[*]Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
- this course is HELL

[*]Introductory Physical Chemistry
- easy

[*]Inorganic Chemistry I
-meh, not too bad

[*]Introductory Organic Chemistry I
-easy

[*]Introductory Organic Chemistry II
-hard

... so that's 3.5 labs in a year. And physical chem labs aren't really labs. Yes, this is doable. But you will be at your desk often typing the reports. If you have to drop one, make it analytical. Its definitely the hardest.

I took analytical and organic chemistry, and I agree with Howers that analytical is the most difficult lab.

But what you should realize about labs is that they just eat up your time - even the easy ones. I didn't find organic particularly difficult but the labs can't be rushed, and if you're in lab you don't have time to do homework from other classes.

You really should ask a couple chemistry department professors if your plan is feasible.

I will see if I can make an appointment with my program advisor as he is also part of the Chemistry department.

1. Are these CHEM courses difficult?

The difficulty of CHEM courses can vary depending on your background knowledge and study habits. However, they generally require a significant amount of time and effort.

2. How many CHEM courses should I take at once?

This ultimately depends on your personal capabilities and schedule. It is important to consider the workload of other courses and any other commitments you may have. It may be helpful to consult with an academic advisor for guidance.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in science to take CHEM courses?

Having a strong foundation in science, particularly in chemistry and math, can be beneficial for understanding CHEM courses. However, many students successfully take CHEM courses without a strong background in science.

4. Are there any recommended courses to take before enrolling in CHEM courses?

It is generally recommended to have completed high school chemistry and algebra before taking CHEM courses. Some colleges may also have specific prerequisites for CHEM courses.

5. How can I succeed in CHEM courses?

To succeed in CHEM courses, it is important to attend lectures and actively participate in class. It is also crucial to complete all assignments and study consistently. Seeking help from a tutor, professor, or study group can also be beneficial.