Rescoring Analytic Writing on GREs: What's the Verdict?

• Thread starter LocationX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting a rescore for the analytic writing part of the general GREs and whether it leads to a better score. It is mentioned that scores are typically read by two people and a third reader steps in if there is a significant difference. It is also noted that science/engineering programs may be more lenient towards a lower writing score. The conversation ends with a suggestion to aim for an average writing score of 4.2 for engineers.
LocationX
Hi,

I was wondering what was the general consensus on getting a rescore on the analytic writing part for the general GREs. Do people who get the rescore tend to get a better score? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks,
LX

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any reason to believe that the first score wasn't fair? I kind of doubt that the scores would change much between readers because the readers use a rubric and your essay is read by two people who each give a score. If the scores are too far apart, then a third reader will decide the score so its a standard procedure. Also if the scores tended to improve on rescoring then everyone would do it.

I think most science/engineering programs are willing to overlook a bad writing score.

Really? Then that would be good news for me. As I have always been more computer, math and sci based in interests and grade results about a 3.5 gpa. I writing I am about a 2.7 gpa student.

But what kind of result are you both talking about. (Thanks Inadvance) -Ed.H

The average writing score for engineers is a 4.2 which is the average (I think) so aim to get that.

1. What is "Rescoring Analytic Writing" on GREs?

"Rescoring Analytic Writing" refers to the process of requesting a reevaluation of your GRE analytical writing score. This can be done if you believe your original score does not accurately reflect your writing ability.

2. How do I request a rescore of my GRE analytical writing?

To request a rescore, you must submit a written request to the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization that administers the GRE. You will need to provide your name, contact information, GRE registration number, test date, and the reason for your request.

3. Is there a fee for requesting a rescore?

Yes, there is a fee for requesting a rescore of your GRE analytical writing. As of 2021, the fee is $60 and must be paid in US dollars.

4. How long does it take to receive the rescore results?

The rescore process typically takes 4-6 weeks. However, during peak testing periods, it may take longer. It is important to note that the rescore results are final and cannot be appealed.

5. Can my GRE analytical writing score go down after a rescore?

Yes, it is possible for your GRE analytical writing score to go down after a rescore. This is because your essays will be evaluated by a different reader, and their evaluation may differ from the original reader. It is important to carefully consider whether a rescore is necessary before requesting one.