What to do about courses that can't be taken

• Courses
  • Thread starter BioCore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the individual is considering taking additional courses in Chemistry and Biology during their time at university. They are seeking advice on whether to try to fit these courses into their schedule or learn the material on their own during the summer. The options presented are staying an extra year, taking the courses in summer school, or self-studying. The speaker suggests self-studying and attending lectures for guidance.
BioCore
Hi,

So I was going over my course selections for my next three years and I after putting aside the courses that are required by my program I noticed that I might have enough time/space for some of the other courses I would like to take during my time here at university.

These are specifically Chemistry and some Biology courses. I was wondering what your advice would be in this case? Would it be to just find other textbooks/books on the same topics and teach myself over the summer that way saving my self the trouble and money or should I try to somehow squeeze in the extra courses and make my life miserable.

Advice is greatly appreciated. By the way most of these course are not required for me to obtain my degree but are rather additional interest courses that fall under Bio and Chem though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just sit in on the lectures without registering or taking the exam?

I don't know your system - but I think I had a right to attend any lecture in the university (in fact I think I still do after graduating)

BioCore said:
Hi,

So I was going over my course selections for my next three years and I after putting aside the courses that are required by my program I noticed that I might have enough time/space for some of the other courses I would like to take during my time here at university.

These are specifically Chemistry and some Biology courses. I was wondering what your advice would be in this case? Would it be to just find other textbooks/books on the same topics and teach myself over the summer that way saving my self the trouble and money or should I try to somehow squeeze in the extra courses and make my life miserable.

Advice is greatly appreciated. By the way most of these course are not required for me to obtain my degree but are rather additional interest courses that fall under Bio and Chem though.

You can either stay an extra year to get them done, do them in summerschool (or change your schedule so that you can do some courses over the summer to make room for those not avaiable), or you can learn them on your own during summer. I wouldn't recommend sitting in on lectures, as this would deter you from your real courses. The best option is learning them on your own. Just go into the first class and see what text they are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yes I can go into any lecture even if I am not registered.I was not trying to be dense it was just something I was wondering if possible to do. I mean most of the courses on the list that I can not take are from upper years (advanced topics somewhat). So how feasible is it to study on my own? But thanks for the suggestion Howers.

At most universities, you're allowed to register for any courses (as long as you satisfy the prereqs) regardless of whether you'll need them to graduate. By the end of my degree, I'll probably have about 12-15 such courses myself. It's definitely feasible, and often encouraged. After university, you probably will never again have such an easy opportunity to learn new material like this. You mention saving money: do you actually have to pay per-credit even as a full-time student?

If they don't allow you to actually take the course, then see if you can sit in on the lectures and study on your own. The hardest part of studying by yourself is the pacing, and figuring out what's really important, and what can be skimmed over. By attending the lectures (or following online if they post good summaries of what was done in class), you can take care of this problem. And if you can get a copy of the assignments and tests, that would also help knowing where you stand.

1. What should I do if a required course is not offered at my university?

If a required course is not offered at your university, you should first check if the course is offered at any nearby universities or colleges. If so, you can try to transfer the credits from that institution. Alternatively, you can speak with your academic advisor about finding an alternative course that covers similar material or petitioning for the course to be offered at your university in the future.

2. What if a course I need is only offered at a time that conflicts with my schedule?

If a required course is only offered at a time that conflicts with your schedule, you should speak with your academic advisor or the department offering the course. They may be able to make accommodations for you or offer the course in a different time slot. If not, you can also consider taking the course during a different semester or finding an online or distance learning option.

3. Can I take a course at a different level than what is required?

In most cases, it is not recommended to take a course at a different level than what is required. This may not fulfill the requirements for your degree or may not adequately prepare you for future courses. However, if you have a valid reason for taking the course at a different level, such as prior knowledge or experience, you can speak with your academic advisor about petitioning for an exception.

4. What if I am unable to pass a required course?

If you are unable to pass a required course, you should speak with your academic advisor about your options. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to retake the course, substitute it with a different course, or receive an exemption. It is important to address this issue as soon as possible to avoid delaying your graduation or affecting your academic progress.

5. How can I make up for a course that I was unable to take?

If you were unable to take a required course, you can speak with your academic advisor about finding an alternative course or completing an independent study. You can also look into taking the course during a summer session or at a different institution. Keep in mind that you may need to provide documentation or justification for why you were unable to take the course in order to receive credit for a replacement option.