Measures with Compact Support in Complex Analysis: Finiteness Assumptions

In summary, Laura found a mistake in a problem in a previous edition of Lang's Algebra, and her counterexample was published in the new edition instead.
lark
I was reading in a book, says [tex]\mu[/tex] is a measure with compact support [tex]K[/tex] in C, meaning [tex]\mu(U)=0[/tex] for [tex]U\cap K=0.[/tex].
Is [tex]\mu(K)[/tex] assumed to be finite in this case?
It doesn't say in the book, but they make a statement which is true if that's so. Is there usually some assumption about measures being finite on compact sets?
I know complex measures are assumed to be finite. But in C you would usually be integrating over a positive measure (which could be infinite normally?)
thanks
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a measure of a compact set is finite.

HallsofIvy said:

For sure? I see no reason for a measure of a compact set to be finite in general. Are you assuming something?

HallsofIvy said:

That would normally be assumed for a measure? This is some arbitrary measure, of course, not necessarily Lebesgue measure. All that Rudin's RACA says is that a measure's range is
[tex][0,\infty][/tex].
Laura

No, it's not usually assumed that all measures are finite on compact sets. On the other hand, most classes of measures that pop up in practice are assumed to have this property. For instance, most authors have this requirement in the definition of a Borel measure. One reason for doing so is that the measures one gets from the Riesz representation theorem are finite on compact sets.

It doesn't say in the book, but they make a statement which is true if that's so.
Can you elaborate on this?

morphism said:
Can you elaborate on this?
Something about differentiating inside the integral sign. It's easy to see if the measure is finite.
Laura

Lemma 2.2 in Lang's Real and Functional Analysis is about differentiating under the integral sign, and it doesn't assume the measure's finite on compact sets. But it makes a lot of assumptions to make up for that. The book's in books.google.com.
So I guess, the book I'm reading does assume that measures are finite on compact sets, because they aren't making those other assumptions.
Laura

A few years ago I found a mistake in one of the problems in Lang's Algebra (I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes!) and I sent him a counterexample. I got a note back saying the problem would be taken out. But I was just thrilled and delighted to find out recently that he published my counterexample in the new edition, in place of the original problem! I wanted to send him a thank you note. But then I found out Lang had died ... and I couldn't send a thank you note ...

1. What is the definition of a measure with compact support in complex analysis?

A measure with compact support in complex analysis is a function that assigns a non-negative value to subsets of the complex plane. It satisfies the properties of additivity, non-negativity, and countable additivity, and has a finite value for subsets that are contained within a compact set.

2. Why are finiteness assumptions important in measures with compact support?

Finiteness assumptions are important in measures with compact support because they ensure that the measure is well-defined and can be used to evaluate integrals. Without these assumptions, the measure may not have a finite value for all subsets, which can lead to inconsistencies and difficulties in analysis.

3. What are some examples of measures with compact support in complex analysis?

Some examples of measures with compact support in complex analysis include the Lebesgue measure, the Dirac measure, and the Hausdorff measure. These measures are commonly used in mathematical analysis and have applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. How are measures with compact support related to functions with compact support?

Measures with compact support and functions with compact support are closely related in that they both have finite values only within a compact set. However, measures are more general and can assign values to subsets that are not necessarily functions. Additionally, measures can be used to integrate functions with compact support.

5. Can measures with compact support be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, measures with compact support have applications in various areas of mathematics, including probability theory, differential equations, and harmonic analysis. They provide a useful tool for evaluating integrals and studying the properties of subsets in different mathematical contexts.