Advancing the Human Race Through Space Exploration

In summary, Eraniamayomii states that his dream is to change the world for the better by expanding the human race throughout the universe and believes that a curriculum encompassing science, politics, and philosophy would give him an edge in this goal. However, he is unsure if this is financially and time-wise feasible and seeks advice and criticism. He also questions the idea of turning away from societal improvement for personal happiness and discusses the relationship between desires and societal improvement.
Eraniamayomii
Hello. Let me start by asking your forgiveness for my lack of grammatical skill. I know I need work in this subject. None-the-less, I'd like to ask a couple question concerning my dream. Please keep in mind that college is quite a ways off. I'd like to be prepared now though.

Along with my interests in science, I have a severe interest in politics, and philosophy. There seems to be a horribly thin line between these subjects, and an broad expertise of all seem to be extremely advantageous in any major scientific career. Knowing this; one might think that a curriculum including all might give an extreme edge as a leader in scientific research. It goes without saying that not only does research involve intellect, but political, and social understanding for financial support.

My dream is to change the world for the better. To increase the odds of survival of the human race, and overall happiness in my philosophical interpretation of the word.

There are many ways to improve society, but I feel that the most advantageous improvement would be to expand the human race through-out the universe. This, ovcoarse requires many major scientific breakthroughs. These breakthroughs, I feel are on the verge of discovery, and the idea of my dream seems just out of view.

It seems that a degree in engineering would be essential toward designing, and building the structures, and mechanisms involved in creating what is essential toward my dream. This could be solar power, propulsion, an independent biosphere, along with countless more.

A degree in biology seems essential also. The understanding of ourselves is an obvious necessity when it comes to increasing the survival.

Physics, political science, sociology, along with others also seem extremely advantageous toward reaching my dream. It almost seems that one would need a complete understanding along with the greatest mind of all time.

I believe the advantage I have over my peers is that I have an interest in the listed subjects. It seems to me that you needn't be smart to understand, but have the interest in which to motivate to learn.

None-the-less, I do not see it possible with my parents income to finance such a severe curriculum Not only does currency worry me, but time as well. It seems one would take a horribly long time to have a degree in these subjects. Would I have enough time to follow up after such studies?

I understand that I am not taking into consideration the assistance of others to work toward my goal. The reason being; I can never fully understand the thought-process, and intentions of my peers. It seems from my experience, that the majority are optimists whom take advantage of others, and victims who are too trusting, and polite to see it coming. It seems that only I can trust myself to know that intentions are pure, and gratification is taken only in seeing society improve. This is why I fear dependency in a dream as radical as my own.

Taking all this into serious consideration, I'd like some advice and criticism. I mainly would like to use your responses to brainstorm my options, and reevaluate my thought process.

Thank you for reading, and I look foward to your response.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

Physics news on Phys.org
Your "goal" is too large and nebulous to be attainable. Try to break your goal down into smaller, more manageable goals, and attack them one by one.

Also, recognize that as you begin your university education, you will eventually find yourself pulled in one direction or another. With some classes and some experience, you'll quickly figure out the right path for you. My advice, then, is simply to relax, and begin by taking classes that interest you at the moment.

- Warren

Dear Warren

Can we not agree that when stated; Alexander The Great's goal was far beyond reasonable conceivability? Napoleon? Hitler? Queen Elizabeth the 1st? Plato? Einstein?

I'd say my "dream" is beyond conceivability, but not inconceivable.

You are correct when you say take it step by step, but surely not aimlessly. .

Love,

Eraniamayomii

Eraniamayomii,

Let's look at it in the most practical way: to accomplish your dream, you must start with a single step, taking a first class in math or science, for example. You'll gain more from the class than just knowledge of the subject matter. You'll also gain knowledge about yourself, what you enjoy, what fascinates or bores you. You'll use that knowledge to pick the next class, and the next. You may find yourself interested in very different things by the end of your university years, and you may find your dream changing in entirely unexpected ways. You'll be happiest if you sit back and just let those changes happen naturally -- they're part of growing up.

- Warren

Dear Warren.

It would be great fun to become a fashion designer, model, or even house wife.

I realize that, as introverted as I am; I find great joy in kissing boys, slumber parties, and video games. I also realize that when neglected, my interest in science evaporates. I keep myself interested only by surrounding my life with, and continuously studying.

Knowing this, I truly believe that personal happiness would come to a much further extent with a simple life rather then the complexity of my dreams.

Is it fair to turn ones back on the improvement of society only to indulge in selfish desires?

One night about 4 months ago, I was having a philosophical conversation with my father. As I walked around the dining room table in circles contemplating happiness as my father challenged me, I came to the conclusion that happiness is the result of fulfilling needs. Then desires.

Desires seemed to be based on improvement whether it be way of life, knowledge, or the improvement of society. Surely Einstein would not have made such fascinating leaps in science hadn't he the desire for knowledge.

This leads me to think that our wants, our desires, our instinct is to improve society for the good of our species throughout our lifetime.

Naturally my father brought up the religion of Buddhism. My response being that they are a selfish religion when it comes to doing there part to improve society. They are a drain on the species.

Taking all this into consideration, what right have I to indulge in selfish desires when, I can attempt to make great leaps just as the greats before for the improvement of the species.

My dream is to improve society for the good of human-kind. Not my happiness. I pray to whatever force exists that I do not fall to desire, and neglect my dream.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

Well, if your goals are purely altruistic, there are many better, more direct ways to help others than trying to invent space travel. Helping people eat, clothe themselves, and obtain education are far more humanitarian -- and immediate -- goals.

I also must say that your plan of ignoring your own personal needs in order to create space travel sounds like the plan of an idealistic child. I would not wish such a life on anyone, and I hope that as you mature you will discover a healthier balance, in which you can be fulfilled, yet continue to make an impact on the world.

Either way, you seem to no longer be asking questions about what you should do, and instead have descended into idealized dream-like statements. I wish you luck, but there's nothing else I can tell you.

- Warren

I think you're trying to attain a few too many degrees there. Focus on one, whichever seems like your favorite of them all, and do it well. With an interest in both science and politics, one thing you might want to consider down the road is pursuing a career as a science policy advisor. You can do this from any field of the sciences, and once you have a Ph.D., can apply for a fellowship to work with members of Congress to learn to advise them about formulating scientific public policy.

My suggestion for your immediate future is to pursue your further education at a liberal arts institution where you can sample a variety of courses in the different sciences, politics, etc., and reserve making a decision about which you'll get a degree in until after you've sampled enough to make a more educated choice based on your own likes and dislikes.

Eraniamayomii,

You may want to look up the work of Abraham Maslow and the concept of self-actualization.

My plan as of the moment leans toward getting a job when my father allows. This will help me pay for 2 years of community college. Post, I plan to attempt at a scholarship in ballet. If not, a grant. My major would have been biology.

After I get my bachelors, I plan to apply to Ames University to become an astro-biologist. While attending these classes, I could minor in political science.

It seems that I would need to get a masters in engineering also. When I will get this, I haven't any idea.

I suppose I can study on my own these other areas on my off time. You needn't the qualifications. Only the understanding.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

Eraniamayomii said:
You needn't the qualifications. Only the understanding.

No, if you are going to make any kind of serious effort to help get the human race into space, you are going to need the qualifications.

If you just want to daydream in your parent's basement, then yeah, the understanding is enough.

Dear TMFKAN64

To be terribly honest, I'm slightly hurt by your comments.

Please make an attempt to understand before posting your opinions.

I ask that you read over what it is I said, and attempt to find your error. If you still cannot, I will then explain it to you. I trust you have far more intellect than I, and an explanation will not be necessary.

Thank you,

Eraniamayomii

You should concentrate on what you enjoy. Read up allot and find what you are passionate about. You may not be able to change the world on your own but you would be more likely to make advances in your field if you enjoy what you are doing.

Dear Eraniamayomii,

I do not know how old you are but I would hazard a guess that you are at most a senior at high school who have yet to enrol in college. Possibly even younger. You may think the replies of others here are unnecessarily harsh and in your opinion, pessimistic. Bear in mind that, like you most of us grew up with dreams such as that of yours but found it impossible to attain after we realized how time-consuming and intensive it is to even finish a single degree. Yet here you are talking about self-studying for multiple degrees and post graduate education even before you have entered college. I will confess that when I was younger I had impossible dreams which I am too embarassed to reveal here. At the end of the day, you must realize that your dreams of expanding the human race outside of just Earth itself would require more than just a determined individual but also the cooperation of an entire nation at least. Suffice to say, who would they be to listen to someone who has not even entered college?

It is good that you feel an obligation to give back to society. There are many ways you could do so in terms of voluntary welfare work and donations. These actions are more immediate and concrete than the hazy ideals of human paradise you have promised them. When you commence your working life, you will have to pay bills and taxes and whatnot. Thinking of what kind of space colony humans may be able to live in the near future would be the least immediate of all your concerns, to say the least. I trust I don't have to elaborate. Others will do so if prompted.

I can guarantee that once you step into college and begin your studies you'll look back at all of this as a childish dream. I'm not being condescending here. Just being truthful. Because it happened to me personally.

P.S. This website does address some aspects of your dream, though not from a personal viewpoint.
http://www.hedweb.com/welcome.htm

Eraniamayomii said:
attempt to find your error.

Yes, yes, I know... "parents' basement", not "parent's basement". My apologies.

Seriously, re-read what the other posters have said and take it to heart. Space travel is a huge endeavor that requires the resources of a nation, not the efforts of one person. If you are interested in trying to make it a reality you can... just choose *one* aspect of the problem, and focus your energies on it.

Very few people excel in even one area to the point that they can make a difference in it.

I didn't mean your punctual errors. That would be hypocritical of me to point out due to the fact that I haven't the best english skills.

Your error is that I stated I would get my bachelors in Biology, Masters in Astro-biology, Minor in political science, and doctorates in Engineering. The rest like sociology, philosophy, and other minor subject stated above need only understanding in order to know how to manipulate society as one to support. Nowhere did I say that I plan to not get any degree.

Also, I'm 14. I do live with my parents, not in there basement, rather my point being that it isn't polite to use that phrase in such a offending way when in respect, you haven't a clue about whom you are generalizing.

I suppose I have taken into account everything stated despite its harsh pessimistic deductions. I must admit that I feel a little overwhelmed, and fruitless by this thread overall. I don't think I'v ever received such an amount of discouragement even by my father who is a harsh realist.

I guess I have to take into account all variables for lack of a better word. If I were older, and more educated; would the response be different? If I already had a degree out of the way? Could I be talking to an illogical group?

None-the-less, I won't give up. Even if it is only a naive child-like dream. It is, as of now; possible. I believe if I try my hardest, I can do whatever I like, and be whomever I want.

Admins, I wouldn't see fault if you locked this thread. I believe it's a bit more harshly opinionated then my taste prefers.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

TMFKAN64 said:
Yes, yes, I know... "parents' basement", not "parent's basement". My apologies.

Not to be mean to the threadstarter, but this really made my day. :rofl:

Eraniamayomii said:
Your error is that I stated I would get my bachelors in Biology, Masters in Astro-biology, Minor in political science, and doctorates in Engineering.

This is already quite a stretch. But, given your age, it now makes more sense. When I was young, I still wanted to be a heart surgeon who cured cancer and became the first female president of the US (Drat! People are already trying to beat me at that!), while becoming a famous playwrite. Just work on doing well in school for now and more focus will come naturally as you get older. You have plenty of time before you decide which of your interests will be your true passion for studies and a career path when you're older. The rest can always be hobbies you pursue.

Eraniamayomii said:
Your error is that I stated I would get my bachelors in Biology, Masters in Astro-biology, Minor in political science, and doctorates in Engineering.

OK, stop there. No.

I'll assume that the 's' at the end of doctorates is a typo. Minors are no problem... you can easily get a bachelors' degree in biology while minoring in political science. I don't even think it's unreasonable to get a masters' degree in astrobiology... it might be difficult to squeeze in the necessary prerequisites while you are trying to take all of those additional political science courses... but yes, the fields are still related, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

You cannot get a doctorate in engineering without a substantial undergraduate background in the subject. Period.

Career changes happen. People get degrees in one subject, and later decide they are interested in something else. However, to *plan* on getting a set of unrelated degrees is madness.

If I'm being cruel, it's being cruel to be kind. You have to choose. You can change your mind later, if you need to... but you have to choose.

To the OP: I think you should re-read the title you chose yourself for this thread. It says it all.

I guess many of us, at your age, had such dreams. Why do you think movies and books about superheros have such a success for adolescents ? I'd say: enjoy the dream! But don't let it ruin your life.

Now, if you think that you're going to be a legend (hell, why not ?), then legends don't take advice, they just do their thing and know where they go (there where no-one has gone before...). But we've no statistics about failed legends...

Moonbear said:
This is already quite a stretch. But, given your age, it now makes more sense. When I was young, I still wanted to be a heart surgeon who cured cancer and became the first female president of the US (Drat! People are already trying to beat me at that!), while becoming a famous playwrite.

Dammit ! I just wanted to be the richest and most admired scientist in the world and invent a bomb that could blow up planets... (uh ? I didn't have my priorities right, I know...) :rolleyes:
:rofl:

Now that I think of it, I was much younger then (I know because I remember the house where I had such fantasies and it was when I was about 10-11 years old...)

edit: unfortunately, I *really* wanted to invent a bomb that could blow up a planet... I still have this clearly in my mind... everybody his/her pet idea, I guess.

Eraniamayomii said:
None-the-less, I won't give up. Even if it is only a naive child-like dream. It is, as of now; possible. I believe if I try my hardest, I can do whatever I like, and be whomever I want.

Hello Eraniamayomii,

I don't think anyone meant to be rude.

Your confidence and visions is impressive for a 14 yo, but still I think what many tried to say in the comments is that although your goals are admirable and great, you should watch out for confusing justified confidence with innocence and inexperience and underestimate the difficulty in reaching them. Perhaps the most important thing is not to achieve perfection, because the closer you get, the farther away may the goal seem.

So these point would only strengten you.

It's the saying that the more you learn, the more do you understand/"see" how little you know (in the big picture that is; because the big picture itself grows).

All you can do is your best, based at the present. Contemplate and pick your direction and start your journey. You do not need to predict the path of your future in detail, all you need is an estimate, so you can determin where to place your next step.

Go ahead and keep thinking, analysing and get some education, and during that journey
there is no doubt in my mind that you will find more answers yourself about what to do next. There is no need to make definite decisions based on information you do not yet have.

I think it would be foolish to plan the next 50 years of your life in detail. Becuase new information will feed you every day, to allow you to correct your cruising for the best. Focus more on the present, and navigating into tomorrow, than trying to exhaust your resources predicting your final destination based on a minimum of information, information that you collect during your journey anway.

Good luck!

/Fredrik

vanesch said:
unfortunately, I *really* wanted to invent a bomb that could blow up a planet... I still have this clearly in my mind... everybody his/her pet idea, I guess.

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that Vanesch was so naughty :-)

I never had any dreams to become famous, and I don't think I'd want to be either. I think my main interest in science started at two fronts at age of 13-14. The empirical part was that me and a similarly minded classmate spent a lot of time making things gigantic "crackers" and rockets. My biggest fame in school was causing panic during a school stage performance because I had deployed a ammoniumchloride based smokedevice under the stage. Fortunately everbody understood the fun part and my chemistry teacher who found out about it laughed about it. Then I had this ~30m-range cork-gun who was powered by guncotton that I secretly fired during a xmas performance, and the flames made an impression along with the candles of the lucia trains. I was luck and the only minor accident is that I once lost my eyebrows and eye-lashes due to a nitrocotton flame hitting my face, but well they grew back out eventually. But a just few years later my fascination for such things passed.

On the philosophical side I've always asked questions of that type. I remember me and my friend having lenghty discussions about the size and boundaries of the universe, and the conclusion made was that it wasn't that we were too stupid to find the answer, it was really something wrong with the question we asked - it wasn't constructive. Since then I think I've been looking for "the perfect question", that's the closests thing to a naive dream I've got.

/Fredrik

At least you have friends remotely interested in things relative to yours. My friends say "here we go again" when I attempt to explain anything scientific.

The only people who I can really talk about with are when I write to my favorite authors, forums, or my father's friends, and even they speak to me like I'm six.

This is why I feel I can do well. It seems a rare trait to have such an interest in such a broad array of subjects. I believe I literally study everything, and have a curiosity for almost everything. With such interest, gaining knowledge in any subject is exciting. Not boring in the least. Sometimes I think to myself that, I am studying completely unrelated subject. Reading a biography on Hitler, trying to find the exact tendencies with gravity, and trying to understand why I sleep so heavily. Three completely different subjects going through my mind simultaneously. It seems my ultimate response to this is; "each fact I learn, is one step closer to understanding the entire universe as a whole".

I remember about eight or nine years ago when I found that stars were really a bunch of suns far away. I was the happiest girl for like a week.

It seems to me that if one has such an extreme interest in all things, then the education process would be fun, and the thought of work would be unheard. Wouldn't you agree?

Love,

Eraniamayomii

PS. Spell check only pointed out two errors. I'm getting better. Lol

Eraniamayomii said:
At least you have friends remotely interested in things relative to yours.

This was the case when I was 13-15, but later during education I felt more alone with my thinking. Even at the university, most of my classmates were more interested in their carriers than in the subject. If your atypical, you can not expect your environment to understand you to the fullest.

That your parents and family doesn't understand is I think common. Don't worry about it. My parents didn't understand what I studied either, they rather seemed worried at times about my health because thinking about such strange things.

As long as you can be insightful enough to not underestimate the tasks you take on or overestimate your own ability (which I think is easy to do), just go ahead. Life is a involuntary game after all.

Sometimes your environment is chaotic and offers no guidance, then follow your internal guide.

I have a feeling regarding young people that one of the pitfalls is if their desires are not coming from withing, but from expectations from the environment. Everybody else expects them to be clever, be famous, etc. I think that's a bad thing becuase it can cause inflated expectations that will later collapse with detrimental effects. I can't tell what's the case with you though.

For the best results I'd say be realistic, but once your basic needs of life (food,security) is satisfied, follow your own passion and dig your path out as you make progress, don't blindly follow any "expected" paths.

/Fredrik

I'm not sure nations will get us "out there". NASA and ESA seem to be treading water, and swimming backwards, since Apollo. Maybe it will be inspired individuals, with big companies behind them, that will get us there. A new Howard Hughes? Or Richard Branson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Galactic

Maybe you'd be better skipping college and getting into a company like this at the ground level. Faraday, Spielberg and Gates didn't bother with College, just went straight for their dreams. Worked for them.

Fra said:
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that Vanesch was so naughty :-)

So that there is no misunderstanding which could one day compromise a security clearance or something, when I say "I still have this clearly in mind", I am talking about the souvenir of me wanting to make such a bomb, and not about any current desire to make one right now :redface:

vanesch said:
So that there is no misunderstanding which could one day compromise a security clearance or something, when I say "I still have this clearly in mind", I am talking about the souvenir of me wanting to make such a bomb, and not about any current desire to make one right now :redface:

I think that was already clear to me at least :smile: otherwise I wouldn't be joking about it either.

/Fredrik

Dear Eraniamayomii,

When I was 10 years old, I was certain that I would become a scientist (well, I was right about this one), and at 12 years old I wrote my first science-fiction novel. Your post somewhat reminded of myself around that age. I was a girl with many dreams and objectives already settled to my life. What I can attest to you is that there are some positive and negative points to consider: the positive are mainly your self-motivation, this will serve you very well throughout your life as you grow. The negative side is to take your ideas as absolute truths and close your mind to the reality out there. I suffered a lot with the latter, and only when I really got older (admittedly, after my late 20's), I came to understand that the world was not the way I have imagined.

So there is a long way to go. Just continue to study whatever you like to, and slowly you will mature and realize that life is quite different from what is pictured in the mind of a clever girl. Save your post, print it, and lock it inside an envelope. Never read it again for 15-20 years or so, then re-open it. You will then understand my message.

Best of luck,
Christine

mal4mac said:
Maybe it will be inspired individuals, with big companies behind them, that will get us there. A new Howard Hughes? Or Richard Branson:

I think the key point is that it is going to be a large, collaborative effort requiring huge amounts of money. It will require many specialists, not one person who knows everything.

mal4mac said:
Faraday, Spielberg and Gates didn't bother with College, just went straight for their dreams. Worked for them.

What works for Genius and what works for mere mortals are two completely different things. Not going to college *can* work out... but it is a *very* high risk path.

This isn't a debate based on opinions or speculations. This thread is obviously of no use other then to entertain those of whom I haven't any interest in associating with.

Mods, for the reason of lack of professionalism, I ask that this thread be closed.

Thank you for your time,

Eraniamayomii

Eraniamayomii said:
This isn't a debate based on opinions or speculations. This thread is obviously of no use other then to entertain those of whom I haven't any interest in associating with.

So you don't wish to associate with people who have more experience than you, or have different opinions than your own? That sounds pretty closed-minded. To my eyes, people were quite fair and professional with you here. You've been given some fantastic advice -- empathetic and sincere -- by several people.

- Warren

I am almost reluctant to lower myself down to the level of responding to the above post. I do feel badly toward your ignorance regarding my post, so in regards to your poor feelings; I will.

When saying lack of professionalism, I obviously do not mean every responder. I meant only the ones who make this an informal conversation where the are free to rebuttal other posters, give random opinions, and make posts completely oblivious to the OP.

I didn't feel the need to spell this out in my previous post due to the supposed fact that people here are smart enough to understand. I naturally thought you had the intellect to understand whom I was talking about. I consider it impolite to say names specifically.

I know you will be offended at my naive expectations regarding your intellect. Let this be a lesson not to jump to conclusions so quickly, yes?

Eraniamayomii

Eraniamayomii said:

Mods, for the reason of lack of professionalism, I ask that this thread be closed.

Thank you for your time,

Eraniamayomii

Actually you asked for advice and criticism. You are acting quite unprofessional yourself. You accuse those whose opinions are different or more realistic than yours as being hostile and wrong. Part of being successful is learning how to take criticism- good and bad.

Also, please stop speaking as if you are more of an intellectual than everyone else here. You're 14, act like it.

CharmedQuark said:
Actually you asked for advice and criticism. You are acting quite unprofessional yourself. You accuse those whose opinions are different or more realistic than yours as being hostile and wrong. Part of being successful is learning how to take criticism- good and bad.

Also, please stop speaking as if you are more of an intellectual than everyone else here. You're 14, act like it.

I think this about sums up the problem, and since the OP isn't accepting the advice being offered, I will also take his request and lock the thread. It's going nowhere at this point.

1. What are the benefits of space exploration for advancing the human race?

Space exploration has numerous benefits for advancing the human race. It allows us to gain a better understanding of our universe, discover new technologies, and potentially find new resources. It also inspires future generations to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.

2. How does space exploration contribute to scientific research?

Space exploration provides opportunities for scientific research in various fields such as astronomy, physics, geology, and biology. It allows scientists to study the effects of microgravity on living organisms, conduct experiments in a unique environment, and make new discoveries that can advance our understanding of the universe.

3. How does space exploration impact our economy?

Space exploration has a significant impact on our economy. It creates jobs in various industries, such as aerospace engineering, manufacturing, and research. It also stimulates technological advancements that can be applied to other industries and has the potential to open up new markets and resources.

4. What are the potential risks of space exploration?

Like any other scientific endeavor, space exploration comes with risks. Astronauts face exposure to radiation, isolation, and other physical and mental challenges. There is also a risk of spacecraft failures and accidents. However, these risks can be mitigated through thorough research, training, and advanced technology.

5. How can we ensure the sustainability of space exploration?

To ensure the sustainability of space exploration, it is crucial to have proper planning and regulations in place. This includes responsible use of resources, minimizing space debris, and following ethical guidelines for conducting research. Collaborative efforts between governments, private companies, and international organizations can also help ensure the long-term sustainability of space exploration.