How to Find the Length of a Graph Using Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the length of a graph using the formula for length of a graph and how to manipulate the expression under the radical to make it a perfect square. The participants also discuss a specific example and correct a mistake in the calculation.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Determine the length of the following graph:

[tex]f(x) \ = \ \frac{x^5}{10} + \frac{1}{6x^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

length of a graph: [tex]\int \sqrt{1 + f'(x)^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so [tex]f'(x) = \frac{x^4}{2} -\frac{1}{18x^4} [/tex]

[tex]f'(x)^2 = \frac{x^8}{4} + \frac{1}{18} + \frac{1}{324x^8}[/tex]

Is f'(x)^2 correct?

Did I even need to expand, or is there some trick to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is almost always a trick to length of arc problems and the trick is almost always make the expression under the radical into a perfect square. Add 1 to f'^2 and you will see that you can. Except fix f'(x) first. I get x^4/2-1/(2*x^4). Why don't you?

Last edited:
I see what I did wrong. I "brought up" the 6 as well, so I wrote it as 6x^-3

Ok, so can you square it and then express the expression under the radical as a perfect square? I'm betting you can.

1. How do you find the length of a graph?

To find the length of a graph, you must first determine the scale of the graph. Then, count the number of units on the x-axis that represent the length you want to measure. Finally, use the scale to convert this number into the actual length.

2. Can you find the length of a graph without a scale?

No, it is not possible to find the length of a graph without a scale. The scale is necessary to accurately measure the length represented on the graph.

3. What is the difference between the length of a graph and the width of a graph?

The length of a graph refers to the measurement of the longest side, usually represented on the x-axis. The width of a graph, on the other hand, refers to the measurement of the shortest side, usually represented on the y-axis.

4. How do you find the length of a curved line on a graph?

To find the length of a curved line on a graph, you can use a ruler or a piece of string to measure the distance between the endpoints of the curve. Then, use the scale of the graph to convert this measurement into the actual length.

5. Can the length of a graph be negative?

Yes, the length of a graph can be negative. This usually occurs when the graph represents a change in a quantity, such as displacement or temperature, and the starting point is below the x-axis.