Banked Curve- find the Velocity when static MU=0

In summary, the question is asking for the speed at which a rubber-tired car can take a curve without sliding, given its weight and the angle of the curve. The correct normal force is found to be 168971N. The attempt at solving for the maximum speed is hindered by the fact that the coefficient of static friction is 0, which would result in a speed of 0 and the car would slide in any direction. More clarification from the professor is needed to determine the intended solution.
Phoenixtears

SOLVED

(Green means correct)

Homework Statement

A a 14600 kg *rubber-tired car moves on a concrete highway curve of radius 71 m is banked at a 12° angle.

(a) What is the normal force acting on the car?
168971N

(b) What is the speed with which the car can take this curve without sliding? (Assume s = 0.)
m/s

Homework Equations

2nd law statements

a= V^2/ r

The Attempt at a Solution

So I began part a by drawing force diagrams and then 2nd law statements. I was left with:

n= mg/ cos@
n= (14600)/ cos12
n=168971

That was correct. I then attempted to move along to part b. I began this by saying that the total force is static friction, therefore:

Fs(the maximum)= Mass(V(maximum)^2)/r
V^2= (mu)*gr

However, with mu=0 then this all totals to zero. I'm not sure how to get around this. Plus, logically if the coefficient of static friction is zero, then no matter what wouldn't the car slide??

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My only interpretation of this question is this:

- The car will slide DOWN side ways because there is no friction on the road. If he went super-fast (over-exaggeration of course), the car would slide UP because of the effective weight from it's the centrifugal force (not centripetal). So you are asked for the speed at which the car will not slide up or down the bank.

That is my interpretation of the question.

Best Regards,
Sam :smile:

I would like to clarify that the coefficient of static friction being zero does not necessarily mean that the car will slide. It simply means that the maximum friction force that can be exerted on the car is zero. In this case, the car will still be able to take the curve without sliding if the centripetal force required for circular motion is provided by other forces, such as the normal force and the gravitational force.

To find the velocity at which the car can take the curve without sliding, we can use the equation a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve. Rearranging this equation, we get v = √(ar).

Since the car is not sliding, the centripetal acceleration is equal to the maximum static friction force divided by the mass of the car, which can also be expressed as μmg. Therefore, the final equation for the velocity is v = √(μmgr). Plugging in the given values, we get v = √(0 * 14600 * 9.8 * 71), which simplifies to v = 0 m/s. This means that the car can take the curve at any speed without sliding, since the maximum friction force is zero.

In conclusion, even though the coefficient of static friction is zero, the car can still take the curve without sliding as long as the other forces (normal force and gravitational force) provide enough centripetal force.

What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a section of a road or track that is angled or sloped to allow vehicles to safely travel around the curve at higher speeds without losing control.

What is static MU?

Static MU, or the coefficient of static friction, is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when they are not moving relative to each other.

Why is the velocity important in a banked curve?

The velocity is important in a banked curve because it determines the amount of centripetal force needed to keep a vehicle on the curve without sliding off. If the velocity is too low, the vehicle will not have enough force to stay on the curve, and if it is too high, the vehicle may lose control.

What factors affect the velocity on a banked curve?

The main factors that affect the velocity on a banked curve are the angle of the curve, the coefficient of static friction, and the mass of the vehicle. A steeper angle, higher coefficient of static friction, and lower mass will result in a higher velocity.

How can you calculate the velocity on a banked curve when the static MU is 0?

When the static MU is 0, it means that there is no friction between the road and the tires of the vehicle. In this case, the velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, r is the radius of the curve, and θ is the angle of the curve. This formula assumes that the vehicle is traveling at the minimum speed required to stay on the curve without sliding off.