Derivation of Integration in Spinfoam Model with SU(2) Measure and Intertwiners

• Thread starter mbird
  • Start date
In summary: It seems like a lot of work to compute the integral. I am not sure if there is a faster way to do it.In summary, the integration is the identity operator on a space of intertwiners.
mbird
Hi! Thanks for pay attention. I am learning spinfoam model through Rovelli's book and other reviews. I don't know how to perform the derivation of the integration:

[tex]\int{dU R^{j1}(U)^{a}_{a'} R^{j2}(U)^{b}_{b'} R^{j3}(U)^{c}_{c'}=v^{abc}v_{a'b'c'}}[/tex]

the integration is over SU(2), the measure dU is Haar measure. And the RHS are two intertwiner between representation j1,j2,and j3.

Can anyone helps me with some clues or just some reference that I can find the answer.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, to derive this formula, one does NOT compute the integral. You could calculate it using the explicit Wigner matrices and the exact expression of the Clebsh-Gordan coefficients... but that would be rather painful.
Otherwise, this formula is pretty ovbious from representation theory. Consider the Hilbert space for the representation (j1 tensor j2 tensor j3), let's call it V=(V_1 tensor V_2 tensor V_3). The action of SU(2) on that Hilbert space is (g tensor g tensor g) for any group element g in SU(2). We define the invariant subspace of V which is made of vectors invariant under this action of SU(2), we call it V0. This is actually the Hilbert space of intertwiners. The integral you wrote,
int dg (g tensor g tensor g),
is actually the identity operator on V0. Choosing any orthonormal basis e_1,.., e_d of V0, where d is the dimension of V0, it can thus be written as:
|e_1><e_1| + .. + |e_d><e_d|
Now V0 is actually of dimension 1 (d=1). This gives the formula you asked about...

mbird said:
Hi! Thanks for pay attention. I am learning spinfoam model through Rovelli's book and other reviews. I don't know how to perform the derivation of the integration:

[tex]\int{dU R^{j1}(U)^{a}_{a'} R^{j2}(U)^{b}_{b'} R^{j3}(U)^{c}_{c'}=v^{abc}v_{a'b'c'}}[/tex]

the integration is over SU(2), the measure dU is Haar measure. And the RHS are two intertwiner between representation j1,j2,and j3.

Can anyone helps me with some clues or just some reference that I can find the answer.
Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot! etera. I can understand almost all your statement except that Idon't know why the integration is the identity operator on V0.
And by the way could you please tell me some useful book or reference about this. Thanks again!

To flesh out eteras answer a tiny bit: The V_0 representation is the trivial representation thus every group element is represented as the identity on it. The other observation you need is that acting on the left with any group element can be absorbed into a reparametrisation of the integral. Thus it takes every vector into V_0 and is the identity on V_0 and therefore is a projector on what happens to be a one dimensional space, and as etera said, it can be written as |v><v| or in a slightly different notation using some explicit basis in V_1, V_2 and V_3 as int g^a_d g^b_e g^c_f= v^abc v_def

Thanks! f-h. I begin to understand this integration.

1. What is spinfoam?

Spinfoam is a mathematical framework used in loop quantum gravity, a theory that attempts to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is a way to describe the quantum state of spacetime, which is believed to be made up of tiny, discrete units called "spinfoams."

2. How does spinfoam relate to learning?

Spinfoam is used in learning as a way to model and study complex systems, such as the universe. It allows for the exploration of novel ideas and theories, and can also be applied in machine learning and artificial intelligence.

3. What are the advantages of using spinfoam in learning?

Spinfoam allows for a more holistic and comprehensive understanding of complex systems, as it takes into account the discrete nature of spacetime. It also allows for the exploration of new ideas and concepts that may not be possible with other mathematical frameworks.

4. Are there any limitations to using spinfoam in learning?

Like any mathematical framework, spinfoam has its limitations. It is still a developing theory and has not been fully tested or applied in all areas of learning. Additionally, the mathematics involved can be quite complex and may be challenging for some learners.

5. How can spinfoam be used in real-world applications?

Spinfoam has the potential to be applied in a variety of fields, such as physics, cosmology, biology, and even finance. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems and can also be applied in machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve decision-making processes.