Minimum Time Interval: Experimental Evidence?

In summary, Craig Hogen believes that the noise observed in the GEO600 interferometric gravitational-wave detector is evidence for a fundamental minimum interval time. However, it is difficult to determine the time-line for the survival of this timely result as it is ultimately up to future developments and advancements in the field. It is possible that the noise will be eliminated and the significance of Hogen's paper will diminish.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
Craig Hogen, in his paper Indeterminacy of Holographic Quantum Geometry, Phys. Rev D 78, 087501 (2008), has claimed noise seen in output of the GEO600 interferometric gravitational-wave detector is evidence for a fundamental minimum interval time.

What is the time-line for the survival of this timely result?

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/081110/full/news.2008.1217.html?s=news_rss

http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.0665

You are asking us to guess the future. This is impossible, but it is still a good exercise to try to do it (a way of testing one's own grasp of the situation.)

I will risk a forecast. I expect we will not remember this paper 6 months or a year from now. I think they will tweak the GEO rig and get rid of the noise and no one will care about Hogan's paper.

I hope I understood the spirit of your question about (future?) "time-line".

Agree with marcus. Instrument sensitivity is not quite at the 'chronon' level just yet IMO.

1. What is the minimum time interval in scientific experiments?

The minimum time interval in scientific experiments refers to the shortest amount of time that can be accurately measured and recorded during an experiment. It is a crucial factor in ensuring the validity and reliability of experimental results.

2. How is the minimum time interval determined?

The minimum time interval is determined by the precision and accuracy of the measuring instruments used in the experiment. It is also affected by external factors such as the speed of the reaction being measured and the human reaction time of the experimenter.

3. Why is the minimum time interval important in scientific experiments?

The minimum time interval is important because it allows for more accurate and precise measurements of the changes happening in an experiment. It also helps to reduce the margin of error and increases the validity of the results.

4. Can the minimum time interval be different for different types of experiments?

Yes, the minimum time interval can vary depending on the type of experiment being conducted. For example, experiments involving chemical reactions may require a shorter minimum time interval compared to experiments involving human behavior or physiological processes.

5. How can the minimum time interval be reduced?

The minimum time interval can be reduced by using more precise and sensitive measuring instruments, minimizing external factors that may affect the reaction being measured, and increasing the speed of data collection and analysis. It can also be reduced by conducting multiple trials and averaging the results.