Discover the Truth About Career Happiness: Insights from Mike Rowe | Forbes

In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of "following your passion" and whether it is a good or dangerous sentiment. The article's author, Mike Rowe, argues that happiness and job satisfaction do not necessarily come from following one's passion, but rather bringing passion to the job. Participants in the conversation share their thoughts and experiences, some agreeing with Rowe's point and others disagreeing. The conversation also touches on the current economy and the fear of not achieving one's dream job. Overall, the conversation emphasizes that there is no one right path to happiness and success and it is important to constantly reflect on and adapt one's goals and passions.
Vid
http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/09/mi...mployment08-cx_mr_1209rowe.html?feed=rss_news

In the long history of inspirational pabulum, "follow your passion" has got to be the worst. Even if this drivel were confined to the borders of the cheap plastic frames that typically surround it, I'd condemn the whole sentiment as dangerous, not because it's cliché, but because so many people believe it. Over and over, people love to talk about the passion that guided them to happiness. When I left high school--confused and unsure of everything--my guidance counselor assured me that it would all work out, if I could just muster the courage to follow my dreams. My Scoutmaster said to trust my gut. And my pastor advised me to listen to my heart. What a crock.

Why do we do this? Why do we tell our kids--and ourselves--that following some form of desire is the key to job satisfaction? If I've learned anything from this show, it's the folly of looking for a job that completely satisfies a "true purpose." In fact, the happiest people I've met over the last few years have not followed their passion at all--they have instead brought it with them.

This might be something to keep in mind. With the economy tanking hard and competition stiff already, not all of us are going to get into to grad school and even fewer will become professors.

Regardless, Mike Rowe is awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vid said:
This might be something to keep in mind. With the economy tanking hard and competition stiff already, not all of us are going to get into to grad school and even fewer will become professors.

So the solution is to give up and get a job biting the testicles off sheep?

Sorry, but I aspire to more. And I can't believe that that is a bad thing, for me or for society at large.

TMFKAN64 said:
So the solution is to give up and get a job biting the testicles off sheep?

Sorry, but I aspire to more.

You didn't understand Rowe's point.

Locrian said:
You didn't understand Rowe's point.

To be honest, I had trouble decoding what he was trying to say as well. Or at least I don't agree with what I think he was trying to say on the surface.

I don't get what the article means...

Have pride in what you do, and you'll be happy?

cdotter said:

That's pretty much it. What he is saying is don't fall into the trap of "following your heart" because you'll end up doing something you aren't suited for.

I have no doubt that people who have no desire to accomplish anything but the task set before them today are, in general, much happier than the people who have real goals and aspirations.

If all you want to do is bite off sheep testicles all day, it's almost impossible to fail. If you try to do more than that, it's almost certain that you will fail at some point. And most probably fail repeatedly. But personally, I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't at least try.

I tend to believe that one should follow one's dream... but even more than that, I think I believe in self-improvement. I might not get to where I want to go... but I'm sure that I'll be a better person for putting in the effort.

I think the point of the article is to not blindly follow one's dreams, but to have the ability to reflect on what you are doing and making sure that it is still part of your "dream".

As a watcher of Dirty Jobs, you notice that most of these people take advantage of an opportunity that comes along that they may not have taken if they were dead set on following their dream.

Also, I think there's this negative feeling surrounding blue collar workers. Nearly every person that appears on the show works in, or owns a small business. They are doing quite alright for themselves, I believe.

TMFKAN64 said:
I have no doubt that people who have no desire to accomplish anything but the task set before them today are, in general, much happier than the people who have real goals and aspirations.

If all you want to do is bite off sheep testicles all day, it's almost impossible to fail. If you try to do more than that, it's almost certain that you will fail at some point. And most probably fail repeatedly. But personally, I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't at least try.

I tend to believe that one should follow one's dream... but even more than that, I think I believe in self-improvement. I might not get to where I want to go... but I'm sure that I'll be a better person for putting in the effort.

You seem to know an awful lot about sheep testicle biting.

Anyway - pursuing some higher purpose might be good for you. If that's what you want, go for it! But when you start to think you're better than someone else for it, that's when it becomes very, very silly.

However, it has to be said that the article is really nothing more than a way for the writer to advertise his show by playing on the fears that people have about the current economy.

will.c said:
But when you start to think you're better than someone else for it, that's when it becomes very, very silly.

I never said I was better than anyone else. I said that I was a better *me* for trying.

I certainly don't look down on blue collar workers.. after all, *someone* has to bite off those sheep testicles... and if anything, I'm grateful it isn't me. :smile:

That's a pretty sinister plot, eh? I didn't know the economy had gotten so bad that I'd have to start watching the discovery channel.

TMFKAN64 said:
I never said I was better than anyone else. I said that I was a better *me* for trying.

I'm not saying you were. I'm saying the fact that it's good advice for you is not sufficient to make it good advice for all. Different strokes, good for the goose and all that.

cdotter said:

If you do what you want to do then pride in is a given, isn't it?

If you have a "dream" or a goal what's the hurt in pursuing it? None I'd presume. I get the feel that he's suggesting avoid tunnel vision, as you may pass up other opportunities that offer their own rewards.

Mike Rowe can suck it.

Cynical article.

I could just say.. hey.. I don't mind this dead beat job, I'll make the most of it.. but in the back of my mind will be... well... what if I had done something different...

And the basic fact I live by is, we only get one shot at this life, why not make the most of it.

And I agree, investing in yourself is a great way to great improve your life later on down the road.

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Every man dies - Not every man really lives

It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees

It's your life, do what you want with it.

And I think that's enough cliches for the day. Arrivederci.

I'm willing to bet this guy ended up in a career he never thought he would as a kid.

My life principle is to be happy. That is the general goal in life that pretty much everyone can agree on. For some people this can mean finding a job so that you can afford all your trinkets and all your hobbies and for other people this means turning your hobby into a job.

I don't see why either is a bad choice. Even right now it is very tempting to get an MBA and start making some money. I could settle into a decent job, earn some cash and start my life. If I wanted some trinket, I could probably afford it and if I wanted to finance some hobby like deep sea diving or something I could likely finance that too.

On the other hand the idea of going to work where I can make new technologies is really awesome. I absolutely love making and designing things, along with learning why things work. So why not get a Ph.D. in something like applied physics? Graduate school will be very hard, but I will enjoy it since I will be learning and doing research. I probably won't make as much money as if I had taken the MBA route, but my 8-10 hours of work a day will be a lot more enjoyable.

The fact is some passions just don't let you eat bread. My sister wants to be a writer. What are the odds of her being able to support herself with that? So the solution would be to get a job that pays money and write as a hobby. Who knows, maybe she will make the next Harry Potter or something, but it's not worth the risk to do it full time.

So if EVERYBODY followed their dreams, a lot of people would be unemployed and homeless.

will.c said:
I'm saying the fact that it's good advice for you is not sufficient to make it good advice for all. Different strokes, good for the goose and all that.

Hurm... I thought that was *my* point! :smile:

mikeknick04 said:
Cynical article.

I could just say.. hey.. I don't mind this dead beat job, I'll make the most of it.. but in the back of my mind will be... well... what if I had done something different...And the basic fact I live by is, we only get one shot at this life, why not make the most of it.

And I agree, investing in yourself is a great way to great improve your life later on down the road.

Really? I didn't find it cynical at all. If anything I thought he was optimistic. There's a lot of people out there that feel lost in their careers (or lack thereof) I'm sure, regardless of age, that may be better off opening their eyes to whatever opportunities are around them instead of trying to define their "dreams" so they can "follow" them.

After all, in the spirit of clichés, maybe their dreams will find them!

If by best career advice you mean worst...if your life is about the accumulation of wealth then this works, you're a philistine. But if you have broader perceptive this is rubbish.

Edit: As a sidebar if your passion is completely impractical or entirely selfish, then agreed following your passion is useless.

I don't think the line between rationale and following your dreams is all that fine.

Of course you don't want to put your head up your *** and try to be a rockstar while you're starving to death and you can hardly tune your guitar, but somebody that wants to be a rockstar probably won't be happy flipping burgers. You have to learn to compromise somewhere in between.

Then, at least, it's possible to "bring your passions along".

I think there's three things that should factor into your career, and I think your interest is the most important, but not sufficient:

1. interest (you have to like your work)
2. competence (you have to be able to do your work)
3. compensation (a girl's got to eat!)

Most people focus on 1 or 3, but I think all of them are important.

classical case of clash of ideologies.

I am tired of soooo many people ADVISING about not to dream, but to grab the opportunity, no matter what it says. Don't these guys have anything better to do, if you want to do make money & grab the opportunity, go for it, DONT try to impose your ideologies on everybody.

I am sure that mike row won't hesitate to bite the sheep's DA DA, if it pays...lolzz

To quote a famous cartoon character

"Do what you like, like what you do" (Jake and Rocket)

If you're not liking your job, look at getting into something you do like, no matter what the pay is...you'll figure out a way to survive.

You only live once. Why be bound by shackles you don't need? There's trade-offs to every decision in life and its up to us to experience what life has to offer. If people sat around and didn't want to push themselves to achieve what they really wanted the human race would never get anywhere. We wouldn't have people like Telsa or Einstein. Everyone has dreams and has a right to pursue them. We only live once so why not? After all through our own little dream, we just might contribute in ways never thought possible to humanity and enjoy life in the process.

It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.
Well, I would say "follow my passion" is a good reason to have your very own journey.
Why not have a plan that leads to the destination?
Think,and start planning so that at least you know where you are now.

It's better for me (and society at large) if most people do just settle and be happy with what they have. It's better for me if I always want something more. It's better for society if certain people aspire to be great in that for which they have passion. Imagine if Steve Jobbs and The Woz didn't start Apple because they settled for some desk job with a good retirement plan.

Yeah I agree with the poster above.

Society needs a few people that reach out and try their upmost to attain their aspirations.

But it needs a lot more to be willing to just settle...

I play guitar (this is my biggest passion), I love physics/science, and I love to draw. If I chose anyone of these things exclusively as my profession, do I even really have a chance of being able to support myself? Probably not. I'd say my brain works at a happy medium between artisticness and scientificness, so anyone of these awesome careers would leave one side totally neglected! Whatever can I do? I must never be satisfied! If only I could combine all these things into one profession... Love of music, love of physics/science, love of drawing/design. My best bet would probably be to be a behind the scenes guy, maybe desigining new recording devices and sound manipulation techniques. I would use the physics/science, I'd draw/design, and I'd be right there with all the musical action. Could I get a good-paying job doing something like this? The probability of it is orders of magnitude greater than the probability of doing the anyone of my three passions exclusively. Would I be extremely satisfied with my job? Totally, and could even be a stepping stone to one of the other things. More importantly, the more of my skills I use to determine what job to get now, the more jobs there are to get that I can use to get me where I want. You don't have to hit the bullseye, just hit the board and you can party with the other darts.

As corny as it is, the journey is half the fun. I've just given up a super-secure government job to go back to uni to study physics and fulfill my dreams. It seems foolhardy given what's happened to the economy since, and there isn't a day when I don't worry about money but I am far happier struggling now than I have been in the last 6 years.

It depends on the person I guess - if financial security makes you happy, by all means stick at whatever you're doing and find fulfillment in what you have. But others can find as much with no money and work they have real passion for as are a lot of my friends are struggling theatre actors/artists/writers. Passion isn't a tap you can just turn off - I certainly couldn't be happy unless I tried.

I take the point about not developing tunnel-vision and not missing opportunities though!

Last edited:
TMFKAN64 said:

And just to add ... the best part is the ride it takes to get to where you think you want to go. If for not other reason ... just enjoy the ride.
Will ... catia jobs

1. What is the main focus of Mike Rowe's insights on career happiness?

Mike Rowe's insights on career happiness primarily focus on the importance of finding fulfillment and purpose in one's work, rather than just chasing after high-paying jobs.

2. How does Mike Rowe define career happiness?

According to Mike Rowe, career happiness is not just about having a job that pays well, but it is also about finding work that you are passionate about and that gives you a sense of purpose and fulfillment.

3. What are some common misconceptions about career happiness that Mike Rowe addresses?

Mike Rowe addresses the misconception that career happiness is solely determined by the amount of money you make, and also challenges the idea that everyone should pursue a college degree in order to be successful and happy in their career.

4. What does Mike Rowe believe is the key to finding career happiness?

Mike Rowe believes that the key to finding career happiness is to have a strong work ethic, be willing to learn new skills, and to have a positive attitude towards any job or task.

5. How can Mike Rowe's insights on career happiness be applied in real life?

Mike Rowe's insights on career happiness can be applied by taking the time to reflect on your passions and interests, and seeking out opportunities that align with those passions. It also involves being open to learning new skills and being willing to work hard in any job or industry.