Any art historians, art theorists, art critics around?

• Thread starter Ejderha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for others who are studying art history or analytic philosophy in an academic sense on a forum. They also ask for clarification on what is meant by "in academic sense" and "drop in." One person mentions having an art history minor and another mentions reading a book on the psychology of aesthetics.
Ejderha
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone studying art history related subjects or analytic philosophy in academic sense in the forum. Drop in if you are interested.

ej

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "in academic sense"?

Teaching? Researching? PhD?

I have an art history minor...does that count?

Ejderha said:
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone studying art history related subjects or analytic philosophy in academic sense in the forum. Drop in if you are interested.

ej
mal4mac said:
What do you mean by "in academic sense"?

and what do you mean by "Drop in"?

The psychology of aesthetics is an interesting area. I'm reading Ernst Gombrich's Art and Illusion right now.

1. What is the difference between art history, art theory, and art criticism?

Art history is the study of past artistic movements, styles, and artists. Art theory is the study of the principles and concepts behind art, such as aesthetics and creativity. Art criticism is the evaluation and interpretation of art, often based on art theory and historical context.

2. How does art history impact modern art?

Art history provides a foundation and context for modern art by tracing the development of artistic styles and movements. It also helps to identify and understand the influences and inspirations of modern artists.

3. What is the role of art critics in the art world?

Art critics provide analysis and evaluation of artworks, which can influence the perception and value of art in the public eye. They also offer a critical perspective on the cultural and societal implications of art.

4. How does art theory contribute to the understanding of art?

Art theory provides a framework for understanding the conceptual and philosophical aspects of art. It helps to analyze and interpret the meaning and significance of artworks, as well as the creative process behind them.

5. How has the field of art history evolved over time?

Art history has evolved to include a more diverse range of artists and cultures, as well as a focus on interdisciplinary approaches and new technologies. It has also become more inclusive and critical of traditional narratives and perspectives in art.