Lunar Solar Power - Is it a Good Idea?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of limitless energy through LSP and why it has not been implemented yet. Some argue that it would reduce profits for current power companies, while others are optimistic about its potential. The link provided also includes an economic hypothesis related to LSP.
whatgravity
What does everyone think of this idea? I'm writing a paper on it, and I need some arguments as to why it wouldn't work or why its a bad idea. Here's a link to an explanation of LSP: http://www.aip.org/tip/INPHFA/vol-8/iss-2/p12.pdf

A limitless supply of energy for the world. Why aren't steps being taken to make LSP a reality? Is it better to just focus on R & D of fusion? I'm very optimistic about LSP, but maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a fine idea. But it would reduce the profits of the current power companies, at least in the short term, so it isn't happening.

I love it. I read a lot about this a year ago - I don't have acrobat reader on this machine - is this link the one with the economic hypothesis as well?

1. What is lunar solar power and how does it work?

Lunar solar power, also known as lunar power or lunar energy, is the concept of harnessing the sun's energy reflected off the surface of the moon and converting it into usable electricity. This is done through the use of solar panels placed on the moon's surface, which then transmit the energy back to Earth using microwaves or lasers.

2. Is lunar solar power a sustainable source of energy?

Yes, lunar solar power can be considered a sustainable source of energy as long as the moon continues to orbit the Earth and reflect the sun's energy. It is estimated that the moon receives 13,000 terawatts of solar energy, which is significantly more than what is needed to power the world's electricity needs.

3. What are the advantages of using lunar solar power?

One of the main advantages of using lunar solar power is its potential to provide a constant and reliable source of renewable energy. Unlike solar power on Earth, which is affected by weather and nighttime, lunar solar power would be available 24/7. Additionally, it would not produce any greenhouse gas emissions, making it a clean energy source.

4. What are the potential challenges of implementing lunar solar power?

One of the biggest challenges of implementing lunar solar power is the initial cost and technology needed to build the infrastructure on the moon and transmit the energy back to Earth. There are also concerns about the impact on the moon's environment and the potential disruption to lunar activities such as research and lunar exploration.

5. Is there any ongoing research or plans for implementing lunar solar power?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and plans for implementing lunar solar power. Some countries such as Japan and China have expressed interest in developing lunar solar power, and there have been proposals for international collaboration on this project. However, there is currently no concrete plan or timeline for when lunar solar power may become a reality.