Mass of charged particle in magnetic field

In summary, we are given a 1.56024 μC charged particle with a kinetic energy of 0.115905 J in a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.150267 T. We are asked to find the mass of the particle as it moves in a circular path with a radius of 3.13685 m. Using the equations Fe= Fm, Fe= qE, KE=mv^2/2, Fm= qvB= mv^2/r, and 1/2mV2 = .115 J, we can solve for the mass of the particle, which is 3e-9 kg. However, further clarification is needed on the presence of the E field in the
rinarez7
1. A 1.56024 μC charged particle with a kinetic
energy of 0.115905 J is placed in a uniform
magnetic field of magnitude 0.150267 T.
If the particle moves in a circular path of
radius 3.13685 m, find its mass. Answer in
units of kg.

Homework Equations

Fe= Fm
Fe= qE
KE=mv^2/2
Fm= qvB= mv^2/r

3. I decided to first find E: E =Ke (q/r^2)= 8.98e10 (1.5602e-6 C/3.13685^2)=1425.455

Then I solved for Fe= qE= 1425.455 (1.5602e-6)= 2.2239e-3= Fm

Then I used Fm= qvB and solved for v = 9503.84615 m/s
Then I used KE = mv^2/2 to sove for m = KE(2)/ v^2= (0.115905)(2)/ (9503.84615 m/s )^2=3e-9 kg=m
But this isn't correct. What am I missing here? Thank you in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
rinarez7 said:
1. A 1.56024 μC charged particle with a kinetic
energy of 0.115905 J is placed in a uniform
magnetic field of magnitude 0.150267 T.
If the particle moves in a circular path of
radius 3.13685 m, find its mass. Answer in
units of kg.

Homework Equations

Fe= Fm
Fe= qE
KE=mv^2/2
Fm= qvB= mv^2/r

3. I decided to first find E: E =Ke (q/r^2)= 8.98e10 (1.5602e-6 C/3.13685^2)=1425.455

Then I solved for Fe= qE= 1425.455 (1.5602e-6)= 2.2239e-3= Fm

Then I used Fm= qvB and solved for v = 9503.84615 m/s
Then I used KE = mv^2/2 to sove for m = KE(2)/ v^2= (0.115905)(2)/ (9503.84615 m/s )^2=3e-9 kg=m
But this isn't correct. What am I missing here? Thank you in advance for any help!

What is the E field? I don't see that.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html#c2

Don't you have a charge that is moving in a circle in a B field.

|qV X B| = mV2/R

And you know that 1/2mV2 = .115 J

I would like to thank you for sharing your work and thought process. It seems that you have made a small error in your calculations. Instead of using the kinetic energy formula, KE= mv^2/2, you should use the formula for centripetal force, Fc= mv^2/r, since the particle is moving in a circular path. This will give you the correct value for the mass.

Also, it is important to note that the mass of the charged particle may be very small and may require the use of scientific notation to accurately represent it. In this case, the mass is 3 x 10^-9 kg, which is a very small value.

Additionally, it is always a good practice to double-check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent throughout your work. Keep up the good work and always strive for accuracy in your scientific calculations!

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field is given by: m = qB/ω, where m is the mass of the particle, q is the charge of the particle, B is the magnetic field strength, and ω is the angular velocity of the particle.

2. How does the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field affect its trajectory?

The mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field affects its trajectory by altering the radius of its circular motion. A heavier particle will have a larger mass and therefore a larger radius, while a lighter particle will have a smaller mass and a smaller radius.

3. Can the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field change?

Yes, the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field can change. This can occur if the particle interacts with other particles or fields, causing it to gain or lose energy, which in turn can alter its mass.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the mass of a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic field does not directly affect the mass of a charged particle. However, it does play a role in determining the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on the particle, which in turn can affect its trajectory and velocity.

5. Is the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field constant?

In most cases, the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field is considered to be constant. However, in certain situations such as high-energy physics experiments, the mass of a particle can be affected by its speed and energy, leading to a non-constant mass.