Socks. So many uncomfortable socks. What do you wear?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
In summary, socks are getting to be uncomfortable because they are getting too expensive and the quality of the socks is getting worse.
OAQfirst
I'm having a bit of a dilemma with socks. The only kind I've found around here that are comfortable are Gold Toe brand Max Spun. Everything else, expensive to cheap, start to feel like grit or sand after a few minutes. I've tried them all here. Why are socks getting to be so uncomfortable? When my feet are hurting, I'm very disagreeable. But the Max Spun do the trick for me. I can wear those all day. I just hope the store doesn't stop carrying them, that worries me.

What do you wear? I'm looking for work socks (mostly standing in place for an 8 hour day).

EDIT: I'm a guy if that matters.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wear socks made of Pima cotton. And now for a bit of Pima history.

Pima cotton is a type of cotton grown in the Southwest. It is considered to be one of the superior blends of cotton, and is extremely durable and absorbent. Pima cotton is named after the Pima Native Americans who first cultivated the plant in the US, but its origins date back to its cultivation in Peru.

Its very soft, yet light weight, feels so good on the toes.

There's something wrong with my socks,after wearing them for a week or two they get a bit whiffy.I don't understand it.

I'll probably give Pima cotton a try. Sounds promising. Thanks!

I really splurge and buy expensive socks that I wear just for running...the kind I like is only available at stores that cater to runners. They're about $10 a pair :eek: but keeping my feet happy is very important.

Pringle socks are nice and comfy but they can be expensive.

I wear New Balance Athletic socks. Luckily, my wife works for NB, so she gets pretty nice discounts. They are very durable socks and quite comfortable.

For dress socks, bamboo socks are amazing.

I suffer from lost-sock syndrome so buying really nice socks isn't such a smart thing to do for me considering they keep getting lost/taken :(.

I just wear some budget things that W buys for me. I don't know the brand name, but they're white with dark grey toe, heel and sole. A six-pack is about $7.00. My favourite, though, is the MacGregor 'Happy Foot' brand.

Dadface said:
There's something wrong with my socks,after wearing them for a week or two they get a bit whiffy.I don't understand it.
You probably have a hypersensitive nose. Stuff a pickled jalapeno up each nostril for an hour a day till this problem subsides.

I love my Puma ancklet socks. They are nice and comfortable. I work 8+ hours a day, and I love them, they have nice padding (just the right amout). I paid $10 for a pack of 3, I think. It's a great investment.

1. Why are some socks uncomfortable to wear?

There are a few reasons why socks may be uncomfortable to wear. One common reason is that the material used to make the socks may not be breathable, causing your feet to sweat and feel uncomfortable. Another reason could be that the socks are too tight or too loose, causing discomfort and irritation on your feet. Lastly, the design or shape of the socks may not be suitable for your feet, leading to discomfort.

2. How can I make my socks more comfortable?

To make your socks more comfortable, you can try wearing socks made from breathable materials such as cotton or bamboo. You can also make sure to choose the right size of socks that fit your feet comfortably. Additionally, you can look for socks with cushioned soles or arch support for added comfort.

3. What types of socks are best for everyday wear?

The best type of socks for everyday wear would be ones that are made from breathable materials, have a comfortable fit, and provide enough cushioning for your feet. This could include cotton or bamboo socks with added features such as arch support or moisture-wicking properties.

4. Are there any specific socks that are good for certain activities?

Yes, there are socks designed for specific activities that can provide more comfort and support. For example, if you are a runner, you may want to look for socks with extra cushioning and moisture-wicking properties. If you are hiking, you may want to consider wearing wool socks for added warmth and cushioning.

5. How often should I replace my socks?

It is recommended to replace your socks every 6-12 months, depending on the frequency of use and the quality of the socks. Over time, socks can lose their elasticity and become less comfortable to wear, so it is important to replace them regularly to ensure your feet stay comfortable.