Fairly basic integral failing to become solved. O:-)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving an integral involving an expression with a square root. It suggests the use of trig substitution and provides three possible options based on the form of the expression under the root. It advises choosing the correct substitution and then attempting to solve the integral. The person seeking help agrees to try a trig substitution with tan u = x/z and keeps in mind that z^2 is a constant.
Saraphim
"Fairly" basic integral failing to become solved. O:-)

Hi,

I'm having trouble with an integral where I simply do not know where to start. I just need a little nudge in the right direction. I've tried integration by parts and by substitution, but I'm really just stumbling in the dark and should obviously choose something in a more well-informed manner. If I could just get a nudge in the right direction I think that I can solve it. :)

Homework Statement

[tex]\int (x^2+z^2)^{-3/2}dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

when you see a square root in your integrand, you will likely want to attempt trig substitution if there is no other obvious route.

There are 3 different trig substitutions possible based on the form under the root:

x = z * sin@
x = z * tan@
x = z * sec@

you should know which one to use based on that form.

tell us which is the correct substitution, and you should be able to solve it.

I'll have a go at that, thank you very much.

Try a trig substitution, tan u = x/z. Keep in mind that z^2 is a constant in this integral.

1. Why is my fairly basic integral not being solved?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, check if your integral is well-defined and has a valid solution. If it does, then it could be due to a computational error or a limitation of the software or algorithm being used. You may need to try a different method or software to solve the integral.

2. Can I use any method to solve a basic integral?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. However, not every method will work for every integral. It's important to determine the best method for a specific integral to get an accurate solution.

3. How can I check if my solution to a basic integral is correct?

You can verify your solution by taking the derivative of the result and seeing if it matches the original integrand. If it does, then your solution is likely correct. You can also use online integral calculators or ask for a second opinion from a colleague or tutor.

4. What should I do if my integral is too complex to be solved?

If your integral has a complicated integrand or involves multiple variables, it may be difficult or impossible to solve analytically. In this case, you can try using numerical methods or approximation techniques to get an approximate solution. Alternatively, you can consult with experts in the field for assistance.

5. Is there a shortcut for solving basic integrals?

There are some commonly used integrals that have well-known solutions, such as the power rule, trigonometric integrals, and logarithmic integrals. If your integral falls into one of these categories, you may be able to use a shortcut to solve it. However, not every integral will have a shortcut, and it's important to understand the underlying principles of integration to accurately solve integrals.