Λa+µb+vc =0 constants not all zero c.(axb)=0

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation λa + µb + vc = 0 for some λ, µ, and v not all equal to zero, and showing that c.(axb) = 0. The conversation suggests considering cases where v is not equal to 0 and where v = 0. The conversation also mentions using properties of the dot and cross product to solve the equation and offers a hint to start by showing that a.(axb) = b.(axb) = 0.
indie452

Homework Statement

past paper qu...

λa + µb + vc = 0
for some λ, µ, v not all zero show c.(axb)=0

consider cases v not equal to 0 and v = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to start so if someone could just point me in the right direction or offer another hint it may help me get started in the mean time i'll keep looking at it

thanksok i think i made a bit of progress:-

when v not= 0
λa.(axb) + µb.(axb) + vc.(axb) = 0.(axb)

so vc.(axb) = 0
=> c.(axb) = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use properties of the dot and cross product. axb is perpendicular to both a and b, right?
So a.(axb)=b.(axb)=0. And if a and b are parallel, then axb=0.

Dick said:
Use properties of the dot and cross product. axb is perpendicular to both a and b, right?
So a.(axb)=b.(axb)=0. And if a and b are parallel, then axb=0.

ok this along with the progress i made earlier has helped me do the qu

thanks a lot :biggrin:

1. What is the meaning of the equation Λa+µb+vc =0?

The equation Λa+µb+vc =0 represents a linear combination of three vectors (a, b, and c) that results in the zero vector. This means that the three vectors are linearly dependent, and one vector can be expressed as a combination of the other two.

2. How do you determine if the constants Λ, µ, and v are all equal to zero in the equation Λa+µb+vc =0?

The constants Λ, µ, and v are all equal to zero if and only if the three vectors (a, b, and c) are linearly independent. This means that none of the vectors can be expressed as a combination of the other two, and each vector has a unique contribution to the equation.

3. What is the significance of c.(axb)=0 in the equation Λa+µb+vc =0?

The equation c.(axb)=0 represents the dot product between the vector c and the cross product of the vectors a and b. This dot product being equal to zero means that the vector c is orthogonal (perpendicular) to the plane formed by the vectors a and b.

4. How can the equation Λa+µb+vc =0 be solved for the constants Λ, µ, and v?

To solve for the constants Λ, µ, and v, you would need to have additional information about the vectors a, b, and c. This could be in the form of their components or specific values. With this information, you can set up a system of equations and use methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the constants.

5. Can the equation Λa+µb+vc =0 have multiple solutions for the constants Λ, µ, and v?

Yes, the equation Λa+µb+vc =0 can have multiple solutions for the constants Λ, µ, and v. This is because the vectors a, b, and c can have different magnitudes and directions, which can result in different combinations that satisfy the equation. However, there will always be an infinite number of solutions since the equation has three variables and only one equation.