What programming languages are commonly used for creating webpages?

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Html
In summary, XHTML and HTML are commonly used on webpages and Dreamweaver is a popular software for webpage creation. PHP is a scripting language used on web servers to create dynamic pages, while Java applets are often used for their portability. Other server-side programming languages such as Java and .NET require specific characteristics on the web server, while JavaScript can be executed locally by the browser. C and C++ are not commonly used for server-side programming.
jeff1evesque
I actually moved my question to the computer programming section. But I have two general questions:

1. How do most people these days program webpages(sites)- XHTML, HTML, dreamweaver? What is PHP ?
2. Do most webpages today incorporate java, when do they utilize C or C++ instead of java?

Thanks,Jeffrey

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and the extended version XHTML are languages which are used on webpages (they descripe what is on the page, i.e. e.g. where the text (which) should be) and are understood by web browsers. So either HTML and XHTML are used on all pages displayed by a web browser. Sometimes these pages are automatically created by scripts.
Dreamweaver is on the other hand a software to create homepages. This program is used much by professionals. But in you only need an editor to create web pages (l use e.g. Bluefish and their are other freely available ones).
PHP is a script language (see e.g. http://www.php.net" ) which is used on a web server to create dynamical homepages, e.g. pages which are using information from databases.
Many pages are using so called java applets (but also JavaScript). The reason I guess why Java is used is because it is more portable. But PHP has many similarities with C.
I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
These days, state of the art is to use XHTML (more strictly formed than plain HTML so that browsers can parse it more easily). XHTML tags are used to divide the information in the page in paragraphs and other logical sections.

Then use CSS to alter the cosmetic appearance of the different XHTML tags.

The above are for a "static" webpage that does not have to pull information from a database each time it is accessed.

For "dynamic" pages formed by polling a database, or for forms that the user fills out to send information to a database, etc., you'll need a programming language. PHP is a popular one that runs on both major types of web servers (Linux Apached and Windows IIS). PHP runs on the web server and dynamically creates an HTML (or XHTML) page when the browser sends a request to a URL that has a .php file extension.

Other server side programming languages such as Java or .NET require special characteristics on the web server itself.

The browser itself can also execute Javascript (also called ECMA script) locally without making a round-trip request to a web server.

Few server side programs these days are written in C/C++. Instead, most are written in one of PHP, Java, Python or ASP.NET. The latter three are popular because they are object-oriented and it is easier to write "safe" programs that will not cause the web server to crash; it is not quite so easy to write "safe" server-side programs in C or C++.

Last edited:

1. How do I indent a table with HTML?

To indent a table in HTML, you can use the <table> and <td> tags. The <table> tag surrounds the entire table, while the <td> tag is used to create individual cells within the table. You can use the style attribute to add indentation to your table, by setting the padding-left property to your desired indentation value.

2. Can I indent specific rows or columns in a table?

Yes, you can use the rowspan and colspan attributes to specify the number of rows or columns you want to span with a single cell. This can help you create indented sections within your table.

3. Is there a limit to how much I can indent a table?

There is no specific limit to how much you can indent a table, as long as you keep the overall structure of the table intact. However, it is recommended to use indentation sparingly and only when necessary for organization and readability purposes.

4. Can I use CSS to indent my table instead of HTML?

Yes, you can use CSS to style your table, including adding indentation. This can be done by targeting the <table> and <td> elements in your CSS code and using the padding-left property to add indentation. Using CSS allows for more customization options and is the recommended way to style tables.

5. How can I make sure my indented table looks consistent across different devices and browsers?

To ensure consistency in the appearance of your indented table, it is important to use relative units for indentation, such as percentages or em units, instead of fixed units like pixels. This allows for the table to adapt to different screen sizes and resolutions. It is also recommended to test your table on different devices and browsers to ensure it looks consistent.