Spectral density and wold decomposition

In summary, there is a problem of recovering the coefficients of the Wold decomposition of a weakly stationary series when estimating its spectral density. Pezzey and Härdle (1996) propose a solution by using kernel smoothing of the Wold coefficients from the periodogram. The asymptotic standard errors of the Wold coefficients can then be calculated based on the spectral density. Alternatively, the iterative Whittle estimator (IWE) can be used to directly estimate the Wold coefficients by matching the series' spectral density.
pezze
Hello, I would greatly appreciate any comment on the following problem:

Suppose that I estimate the spectral density of a weakly stationary series, say, nonparametrically by smoothing the periodogram. Is there a simple way to recover the coefficients of the wold decomposition of the process? (i.e. the infinite moving average representation of the process?) And the best of the world would the finding these coefficients and being able to obtain their asymptotic standard errors based on those of the spectral density.

This is a real problem that I have to solve in my research, so any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pezze

Physics news on Phys.org
i and Härdle (1996) provide a solution for the problem you have posed. They propose a method called kernel smoothing of the Wold coefficients. This is done by using the periodogram of the series, which is then smoothed using a suitable kernel. The smoothed Wold coefficients can then be obtained from the smoothed periodogram. The asymptotic standard errors of the Wold coefficients can then be calculated based on the asymptotic standard errors of the spectral density.Alternatively, there is also the iterative Whittle estimator (IWE), which can be used to estimate the Wold coefficients directly. The IWE is an iterative algorithm which adjusts the Wold coefficients until they match the spectral density of the series.References: Pezzey, J. C. V., & Härdle, W. (1996). Kernel smoothing of the Wold coefficients. Journal of Time Series Analysis, 17(2), 181-192.Whittle, P. (1954). Estimation and information in stationary time series. Biometrika, 41(1/2), 100-121.

1. What is spectral density?

Spectral density refers to a mathematical function that describes the distribution of power of a signal across different frequencies. It is used in the field of signal processing to analyze the frequency components of a signal.

2. How is spectral density calculated?

The spectral density is typically calculated by taking the Fourier transform of a signal and then squaring the magnitude of the resulting spectrum. This gives the power at each frequency, which can be plotted to create a spectral density plot.

3. What is the relationship between spectral density and power spectrum?

The power spectrum is simply the square of the spectral density. This means that the power spectrum plot and the spectral density plot will have the same shape, but the values on the y-axis will differ.

4. What is the significance of spectral density in time series analysis?

In time series analysis, spectral density is used to identify any underlying periodic patterns in a dataset. It can help to identify dominant frequencies and determine the presence of seasonality or cyclical patterns in the data.

5. What is the Wold decomposition theorem?

The Wold decomposition theorem states that any covariance stationary time series can be expressed as a sum of two components: a deterministic component and a stochastic component. This allows for the separation of deterministic trends from random fluctuations in a time series.