Alternative to carbon steel for pipe manufacture?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of replacing carbon steel pipes with duplex steel like Inconel 625 or HASTELLOY due to internal corrosion/erosion issues. However, it is noted that these materials are significantly more expensive and may require a specific mill run for straight run piping. The option of using 304 or 316 stainless steel is also mentioned, but there are concerns about its ability to withstand the corrosion mechanisms present in the processing conditions.
g0ggs123
I am doing research into an internal corrosion/erosion problem on a methanol pipework processing line. The pipe is made out of carbon steel and I am looking at replacing it with a duplex steel like Inconel 625 or HASTELLOY. Does anyone know how I could go about working out the costs involved so I can get an idea of how much it will be to replace carbon steel pipes with these?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let me just say that you will be paying orders of magnitudes more for Inco or Hastalloy. Any nickel based material is going to be very expensive. Not only for material costs, but also because there aren't that many places that sell it so you would probably be looking at a specific mill run for your straight run piping. Let's not talk about fittings.

I don't have a chemical compatibility chart with me right now, but have you completely ruled out 304 or 316 stainless? They are mass produced with all sorts of fittings, etc... readily available.

FredGarvin said:
I don't have a chemical compatibility chart with me right now, but have you completely ruled out 304 or 316 stainless? They are mass produced with all sorts of fittings, etc... readily available.

316 could be another option, the corrosion mechanisms include synergetic effect of erosion/corrosion, impingement corrosion and pitting corrosion, however, so that's why I was thinking along the lines of Inc or hast. Would 316 be up to the task? I can give you the processing conditions if that would help.

Cheers for your reply

1. What are the alternatives to carbon steel for pipe manufacture?

Some of the most commonly used alternatives to carbon steel for pipe manufacture include stainless steel, aluminum, and plastic materials such as PVC, CPVC, and HDPE.

2. Why are alternative materials used for pipe manufacture?

Alternative materials are used for pipe manufacture for a variety of reasons, such as their resistance to corrosion, ability to withstand high temperatures, and increased flexibility and durability.

3. How does the cost of alternative materials compare to carbon steel for pipe manufacture?

The cost of alternative materials for pipe manufacture can vary, but in general, stainless steel and aluminum tend to be more expensive than carbon steel, while plastic materials can be more cost-effective.

4. Are there any limitations to using alternative materials for pipe manufacture?

Some alternative materials may have limitations in terms of pressure ratings or compatibility with certain chemicals or fluids. It is important to carefully consider these factors when choosing an alternative material for pipe manufacture.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting an alternative material for pipe manufacture?

When selecting an alternative material for pipe manufacture, factors such as the intended use, operating conditions, and cost should be taken into account. It is also important to consider the material's properties, such as corrosion resistance and temperature tolerance, to ensure it is suitable for the specific application.