Reflection of Circular Polarized Light

In summary, the problem is to characterize the polarization of the reflected light when a left circularly polarized light is incident on a piece of glass at an incidence angle of 45 degrees. The suggested solution is to treat the components of the electric field separately and then rejoin them after reflection, although there may be an easier method that does not require this separation. It may also be helpful to consider the Brewster angle, although it is not expected to be 45 degrees.
keniwas

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\sigma^+[/tex] light [left circular] be incident on a piece of glass, with incidence angle = [tex]45^\circ[/tex]. Characterize the polarization of the reflected light.

The attempt at a solution
My first thought is to simply treat the components of the electric field (Ex,Ey) as separate waves and then rejoin them after the reflection has taken place. The problem is I am sure there is a phase change in here and I am not sure how to to show that.

I also think there might be an easier way to solve the problem without having to separate the wave into its Parallel and perpendicular components.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
unless I'm missing something, i think you will have to break it down into components as the transmitted amplitudes of each will be different.

shouldn't be too hard to do by balancing the field at the boundary interface if i remember right, the phases should just fall out of the balance

that is if its a quantitaive question, otherwise it may be a more qualitative question...
might be worth checking what the brewster angle is as well...

brewster won't be 45 though ;)

1. What is circularly polarized light?

Circularly polarized light refers to a type of electromagnetic radiation in which the electric field oscillates in a circular motion. This means that the direction of the electric field vector changes continuously as the light propagates, resulting in a helical pattern of light waves.

2. How is circularly polarized light created?

Circularly polarized light can be created by passing linearly polarized light through a quarter-wave plate, which converts the linear polarization into circular polarization. It can also be produced naturally by certain types of crystals, such as quartz, or by certain biological processes.

3. What is the difference between left and right circularly polarized light?

Left and right circularly polarized light refer to the direction of the electric field rotation as the light propagates. In left circular polarization, the electric field rotates counterclockwise, while in right circular polarization, it rotates clockwise. This can be visualized as a corkscrew motion in the direction of propagation.

4. How is circularly polarized light used in research and technology?

Circularly polarized light is widely used in various fields of research and technology, such as in optical communication, 3D movie projection, and medical imaging. It is also used in materials science to study the structural properties of chiral molecules, which have different chemical and physical properties depending on the direction of circular polarization.

5. Can circularly polarized light be harmful to humans?

No, circularly polarized light is not harmful to humans. It is a type of visible light, which has a relatively low energy compared to other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as X-rays and gamma rays. However, it is important to note that prolonged exposure to any type of light can cause eye strain, so it is recommended to limit direct exposure to bright light sources.