How to Correctly Apply Euler Rotation to Supernovae Coordinates in Matlab?

In summary, it seems like the speaker is trying to rotate supernova coordinates using Euler angles, but they are having trouble with the ranges of the angles. They may need to check their rotation matrix and consider using a different one designed for the desired ranges. They also suggest reaching out to others for help and collaboration.
birdhen
Hello,
I am getting very confused.
I have a list of supernovae with galactic coordinates l (from 0->360) and b (from -180->180).
I am trying to write a program in Matlab that rotates the coordinates by 2 Euler angles. Firstly I change l and b into X,Y,Z i.e change from spherical to cartesian coordinate system.
Then I have the rotation matrix:

[X',Y',Z']=[X,Y,Z]* [cos(a) -sin(a) 0 ; -sin(a) cos(a) 0; 0 0 1]*[1 0 0 ; 0 cos(c) -sin(c) ; 0 sin(c) cos(c)]

I want to return a value (delta) which is a function of the SN properties at each rotation where a ranges from (0->360) in steps of 10 degrees and c ranges from (-90->90) in steps of 5 degrees.

The rotation matrix above only seems to work when the range is set as a from (-180->180) and c from (0->180). This means that I have to change l and b so that b ranges from (0->180) ie b=90-b, and l is in the range (-180->180) so l=l-180.

Then I need to plot the rotation values (that are colour coordinated according to the returned value delta) onto a plot that ranges a from (-180->180) and c that ranges from (-90->90). So I need to change c so that
c=90-c.

However, I think that I am doing something wrong somewhere.
I was wondering if anyone had done something similar to this before or if they can see what the problem is, OR alternatively if anyone knows the Euler rotation matrix that will have the range of a(0->360) and c(-90->90) as I have searched but can't find anything.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you are trying to rotate your supernova coordinates using Euler angles, but you are having some trouble with the ranges of the angles. I have not personally done this exact task before, but I do have some suggestions that may help you.

Firstly, I would recommend checking the math behind your rotation matrix. It seems like you may have some inconsistencies with the ranges of the angles and the ranges of the coordinates. I would suggest double checking your equations and making sure they are correct.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a different rotation matrix that is specifically designed for the ranges you are looking for. A quick search online led me to this paper (https://www.researchgate.net/public...x_for_Rotations_Ranging_from_0_to_360_Degrees) which discusses a rotation matrix for angles ranging from 0 to 360 degrees. This may be a good starting point for you to explore.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to other scientists or researchers who may have experience with this type of rotation and see if they have any suggestions or insights for you. Collaborating with others can often lead to new ideas and solutions.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Good luck with your project!

1. What is Euler rotation confusion?

Euler rotation confusion is a phenomenon that arises when different conventions are used for defining the three angles (yaw, pitch, and roll) that describe a rotation in three-dimensional space. This can lead to confusion and errors when trying to interpret or apply these rotations.

2. How does Euler rotation confusion happen?

Euler rotation confusion occurs when different conventions are used to define the order in which the three angles are applied. For example, one convention may use yaw, pitch, roll, while another may use roll, pitch, yaw. This can lead to different results and cause confusion.

3. What are the consequences of Euler rotation confusion?

The consequences of Euler rotation confusion can range from small errors in calculations to significant discrepancies in the final results. This can be especially problematic in fields where precise rotations are crucial, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and navigation.

4. How can Euler rotation confusion be avoided?

To avoid Euler rotation confusion, it is important to clearly define and adhere to a specific convention when working with rotations. It may also be helpful to use visualization tools or check for consistency with known results to ensure the correct convention is being used.

5. Is there a standard convention for Euler rotations?

There is no universally accepted standard convention for Euler rotations. Different fields and applications may use different conventions, and it is important to be aware of the conventions being used in a particular context to avoid confusion.