Four digit number, digit increasing/decreasing in size

• Thread starter Hannisch
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of four digit numbers that exist where the digits are strictly increasing or decreasing in size. The solution involves using combinations to account for the different ways the numbers can be arranged. For strictly increasing numbers, the correct answer is 9C4 and for strictly decreasing numbers, it is 10C4. The reasoning behind this involves considering the use of 0 and the number of combinations versus permutations.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

How many four digit numbers exist where the a) the digits are strictily increasing (i.e. 1234 and 1579 but not 1338 or 1748) in size, b) decreasing in size?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't really have a good motivation for all this.

The reasoning is something like "there are four places and nine numbers, which makes it the binominal coefficient nine over four", but it's a bit.. holey. And the guy that checks this is really strict.

Anyway, that's the problem for the other one as well. I know it's the binomial coefficient 10 over 4, but how to motivate it?

Tips, anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you seem to have figured out the correct answer, you must have some sort of reasoning, even if it isn't clear to you right now. Here are a few questions you can answer to try to motivate your solution:

1. Explain why it is 9C4 for (a) but 10C4 for (b).

2. Explain why you used 9C4 and not, say, 9*103, which is how many 4 digit numbers there are in total.

3. Explain why you have used combinations and not permutations.

Ah, I figured it out :)

I choose four numbers, but there are 24 ways to combine those numbers and only one combination is possible, and therefore I've got 9*8*7*6/24 and since 4!=24, I can "add" 5! to both the denominator and nominator, which makes it 9C4. And it's 10 in b) because I can use 0 as well, since it can be in the last position and in a) I can't have it at all, since it'd have to be in the beginning and a natural number can't start with a 0.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers, it made me think in a bit of a different way :)

1. What is a four digit number with increasing digits?

A four digit number with increasing digits is a number where each successive digit is larger than the previous one. For example, 1234 is a four digit number with increasing digits.

2. What is a four digit number with decreasing digits?

A four digit number with decreasing digits is a number where each successive digit is smaller than the previous one. For example, 4321 is a four digit number with decreasing digits.

3. How many possible four digit numbers with increasing digits are there?

There are 900 four digit numbers with increasing digits. This can be calculated by taking the number of possible combinations of four digits (10,000) and subtracting the numbers with all the same digits (100).

4. How many possible four digit numbers with decreasing digits are there?

There are 900 four digit numbers with decreasing digits. This can be calculated by taking the number of possible combinations of four digits (10,000) and subtracting the numbers with all the same digits (100).

5. Are there any other patterns for four digit numbers besides increasing or decreasing digits?

Yes, there are other patterns for four digit numbers such as alternating digits (e.g. 1212) or repeating patterns (e.g. 1231). There are also numbers that do not follow any specific pattern, known as non-repeating four digit numbers.