Velocity from Static and Total pressures

In summary, Paul is trying to calculate the velocity of a fluid flowing through a wind tunnel, but is stumped because the static and total pressures he measures are not correct. He finds the solution by using the bernoulli equation, but is not sure what equation to use to find the velocity. Fred clarifies that the velocity is found by calculating the difference between the static and total pressures.
ptptaylor
Hi,
I am becoming a bit stuck with a fairly cynical question.

I want to work out the velocity of the fluid from the static and total pressures obtained in a wind tunnel experiment.
The manometor was open to air (atmospheric) at one end and measuring static or total pressure at the other. Both readings were taken.

To calculate the velocity p0=p+0.5*rho*u2

Which all seems fine.
Rearrange to find u

However, the values I have are not Ptotal or Pstatic correct?
I need to add atmospheric pressure to these?
I have an equation which is:
P0=patm-rho*g*h

So for an example,
patm=101081.39 Pa
h? (Reading from manometor)=0.002
So:
101081.39-(1.2*9.81*0.002)=P0
Would this indeed be the total pressure?

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
The manometer gives you the static pressure, which will be equal to the total pressure if it's placed at a stagnation point.

Sorry, might not have been making it quite clear.
The static pressure measurement was staking perpendicular to the flow and the total (stagnation) press was taken normal to the flow.

Just use the bernoulli equation to back out the velocity, as per your textbook.

Yes but I'm getting confused as to use as what in the bernoulli equation.
The equation is stated in my original post to find the velocity...

ptptaylor said:
Yes but I'm getting confused as to use as what in the bernoulli equation.
The equation is stated in my original post to find the velocity...

I believe your analysis is correct, but its been a few years since I've done that calculation so someone should double check my statement. I've become spoiled in getting data files of pressure measurements from digital instruments that I'm now rusty.

If both of your pressure readings are referenced to atm, then you simply use the delta between the dynamic and static pressure in your calculation.

[tex]V =\sqrt{\frac{2 \Delta P}{\rho}}[/tex]

That is assuming compressibility affects are negligible. If so you need to take that into account and is a function of Mach number.

ptptaylor said:
So for an example,
patm=101081.39 Pa
h? (Reading from manometor)=0.002
So:
101081.39-(1.2*9.81*0.002)=P0
Would this indeed be the total pressure?

Paul

That's 14.66 psi, off just 0.0000034 psi from atmospheric, so that's not the total pressure.

Fred's correct: use the differential pressure. Given your example, if it's representative, you'll not be encountering compressibility effects.

1. What is the equation for calculating velocity from static and total pressures?

The equation is V = (2*(Pt-Ps)/ρ)^0.5, where V is the velocity, Pt is the total pressure, Ps is the static pressure, and ρ is the density of the fluid.

2. How is velocity from static and total pressures used in fluid dynamics?

Velocity from static and total pressures is used to calculate the speed of a fluid in a given system, which is important in understanding the flow and behavior of the fluid in that system.

3. What is the difference between static and total pressure?

Static pressure is the pressure of a fluid at rest, while total pressure is the sum of the static pressure and the dynamic pressure (caused by the fluid's motion).

4. Can velocity from static and total pressures be calculated for any fluid?

Yes, the equation for calculating velocity from static and total pressures can be applied to any fluid, as long as the density of the fluid is known.

5. How accurate is the calculation of velocity from static and total pressures?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the pressure measurements and the assumption that the fluid behaves as an ideal gas. In most cases, the calculated velocity is within a reasonable range of the actual velocity in the system.