HELP Book recommendations for introductory physics

In summary, for those looking for book recommendations for introductory physics, some highly recommended titles include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. These books cover fundamental concepts in a clear and thorough manner, making them ideal for beginners in the subject. Other popular options include "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. Ultimately, the best book for an individual will depend on their specific learning style and goals, but these titles are a great place to start.
garrick166
I really would appreciate your help. I will be starting college this September and physics will be one of my course. I know very little about physics because i didn't do it in high school (i attended an international high school). Do you know of any ebook that will be perfect for me to self learn physics, please tell me. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.motionmountain.net/" is a free (but well reviewed) physics book. I would also recommend reading Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov. It's a book that discusses the physics and doesn't require any math besides basic high school math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best introductory physics book for beginners?

The best introductory physics book for beginners will depend on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "Concepts of Physics" by Verma, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

Do I need any prior knowledge before reading an introductory physics book?

No, most introductory physics books are designed for students with little to no prior knowledge. However, a basic understanding of algebra and geometry is helpful.

Are there any online resources to supplement an introductory physics book?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your learning from an introductory physics book. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

Can I use an older edition of an introductory physics book?

In most cases, using an older edition of an introductory physics book should be fine. However, it is always best to check with your instructor to ensure that the material and assignments align with the current edition.

Will an introductory physics book cover all the topics I need for a physics course?

It depends on the specific book and course. Some introductory physics books may only cover the basics, while others may also include more advanced topics. It is best to review the course curriculum and compare it to the table of contents of the book to ensure it covers all necessary topics.