D'Alembert solution with f(x)=0, g(x)=x

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    D'alembert
In summary: I'm sorry, I am not able to provide further assistance with this problem as I am not familiar with the specific context and equations involved. It would be best to consult with someone who is knowledgeable about this topic or to refer back to the book for clarification. I wish you the best of luck in understanding this material.
yungman

Homework Statement

This is an example I copy from the book. The book showed the steps of solving and provide the answer. I don't understand the book at all. Below I show the question and the solution from the book. Then I am going to ask my question at the bottom.

Question
Use D'Alembert method to solve the wave equation with boundary and initial value:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} \;=\; c^2 \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} \;\;,\;\; u(0,t)=u(L,t)=0 \;\;,\;\; u(x,0)=f(x) \;\;,\;\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0)=g(x)[/tex]

Given: f(x)=0 & g(x)=x for 0<x<1. c=1, L=1.

Homework Equations

D'Alembert:
[tex] u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2}[f^*(x-ct)+f^*(x+ct)]+\frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = 0 [tex].\;\;\Rightarrow\; u(x,t)\; =\; \frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds \;=\; \frac{1}{2c}[G(x+t) \;-\; G(x-t)][/tex](1)

Where [tex]g^*[/tex] is the odd 2-period extension of g and G is the antiderivative of [tex]g^*.[/tex]

Let .[tex]G(x)=\int_{-1}^x g^*(z)dz [/tex] (2)

To complete the solution, we must determine G. We know G on any interval of length 2. Since [tex]g^*(x)=x[/tex] on the interval (-1,1), we obtain

.[tex]G(x)=\int_{-1}^x g^*(z)dz \;=\; \frac{1}{2}x^2 \;-\; \frac{1}{2} [/tex]. for x in (-1,1) (3). Hence

[tex]G(x) \;=\; \frac{1}{2}x^2 \;-\; \frac{1}{2} \;\;\;if\;-1<x<1[/tex]

[tex]G(x) \;=\; G(x+2) \;\;otherwise.[/tex]

My question:

1) How does it jump from (1) to (3)??

2) Is (2) just the first Fundamental Theorem of Calculus where -1 is the lower limit of x on [-1,1]?

3) Where is (3) come from? How are (x+t) and (x-t) change to x and -1 respectively?

I don't even understand the answer of the book! Can anyone explain to me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody please?

Anyone?

I'm not sure about the context but I'll try to answer your questions.

First off, in (1), you seem to have copied down the final expression incorrectly. Your limits of integration at first are x + ct and x - ct, but then the c's have disappeared in the final expression.

(2) is not a theorem, but it's certainly related to the fundamental theorem of calculus. As mentioned in the line above (2), G is simply the antiderivative of g*. In particular, note that

[tex]\frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds = \frac{1}{2c}\left(\int_{x-ct}^{-1} g^*(s)ds + \int_{-1}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds\right) = \frac{1}{2c}\left(-\int_{-1}^{x-ct} g^*(s)ds + \int_{-1}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds\right),[/tex]

which follows from basic properties of the integral.
Can you relate (2) and (1) now?

(3) just looks like a definite integral computation of g*(z) = z, nothing too complicated.

snipez90 said:
I'm not sure about the context but I'll try to answer your questions.

First off, in (1), you seem to have copied down the final expression incorrectly. Your limits of integration at first are x + ct and x - ct, but then the c's have disappeared in the final expression.

(2) is not a theorem, but it's certainly related to the fundamental theorem of calculus. As mentioned in the line above (2), G is simply the antiderivative of g*. In particular, note that

[tex]\frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds = \frac{1}{2c}\left(\int_{x-ct}^{-1} g^*(s)ds + \int_{-1}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds\right) = \frac{1}{2c}\left(-\int_{-1}^{x-ct} g^*(s)ds + \int_{-1}^{x+ct} g^*(s)ds\right),[/tex]

which follows from basic properties of the integral.
Can you relate (2) and (1) now?

(3) just looks like a definite integral computation of g*(z) = z, nothing too complicated.

Thanks for your reply.

1) In the question from the book, c=1. Therefore I remove the c and just (x+t) and (x-t).

2) I was playing around on the integration you wrote:

Look like it really does not matter where -1 in reference (x+ct) and (x-ct). ei. Whether -1 is on the left of or in between or on the right side
(x+ct) and (x-ct).

3) In fact, looks like I can use any number other than -1. Any number a is as good as other because it get cancel out when adding the two integrations.

4) I continue to work out the problem and this is the answer. Tell me I am right or not.

[tex]\Rightarrow\; u(x,t) \;=\;-\; [\frac{1}{4c} \; s^2|_{-1}^{x-ct} \;\;] \;+\; [\frac{1}{4c} \; s^2|_{-1}^{x+ct} \;\;] \;=\; [\frac{1}{4c} \; [(x+ct)^2 \;-\; (x-ct)^2] [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; u(x,t)=\; [\frac{1}{4c} \; (x+ct)^2] \;-\; [\frac{1}{4c} \; [(x-ct)^2][/tex]. Where u(x,t) is two wave travel left and right respectively.

But as you can see from the original post, the book integrate from -1 to x alone. this is shown on (3). I even check another example and the book did the same. I just don't understand this.
The book gave the equation (3). I have double check with the book and I type everything correctly.

Thanks so much of your time.

Last edited:
I read more and looked at other examples, seems like the book keep putting -1 as the dummy variable for -1<x<1 and it appear on both side of the traveling wave. Why?

Anyone please?

No body?

1. What is the D'Alembert solution?

The D'Alembert solution is a method used to solve partial differential equations with certain boundary conditions. It involves breaking the problem into two separate parts, one for the initial conditions and one for the boundary conditions, and then combining them to find a solution.

2. How does the D'Alembert solution work?

The D'Alembert solution utilizes the concept of wave propagation to solve partial differential equations. The solution is found by considering the initial conditions as a wave moving forward in time, and the boundary conditions as a reflected wave. These two waves are then combined to find the solution at any point in time and space.

3. What is the significance of f(x)=0 and g(x)=x in the D'Alembert solution?

In the D'Alembert solution, f(x)=0 represents the initial conditions, or the starting position of the wave. This could be the displacement of a string or the temperature of a rod at t=0. g(x)=x represents the boundary conditions, or the fixed points where the wave is reflected. This could be the ends of a string or the ends of a rod.

4. Can the D'Alembert solution be applied to any partial differential equation?

No, the D'Alembert solution is only applicable to linear partial differential equations with constant coefficients. It is also limited to problems where the boundary conditions are specified on a finite interval.

5. Are there any limitations to the D'Alembert solution?

Yes, the D'Alembert solution has some limitations. It is not valid for non-linear partial differential equations, and it cannot be used to solve problems with non-constant coefficients. Additionally, it is only applicable to problems with finite boundary conditions on a finite interval.