Discrete and continuous signal processing

In summary, discrete signal processing is a way to take individual points in time and transform them into a continuous signal. This is related to continuous signal processing because the continuous signal can be reconstructed from samples that are uniformly spaced by time.
flemmyd
First, I'm not an engineer, so I don't know this topic very well.

Anyway, we were covering Fourier Transforms in one of my analytical methods class (chem major; NMR was the topic) and the phrase "discrete signal processing" came up.

In our particular case, we collect individual points on the freq domain, do a FT and that gives us our data.

my question was: how does this related to continuous signal processing? it seems like the only way to get a continuous sample is to take an infinite number of data points- which is impossible, right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is a fundamental theorem of signal processing that the continuous signal can be reconstructed exactly from samples that are uniformly spaced by time T_s, so long as the sampling rate F_s=1/T_s is equal to or greater than EDIT: twice the highest frequency component in the signal. This is known as Shannon's sampling theorem, although it was discovered independently by others (Kotelnikov in Russia, the English mathematician Whittaker, etc.).

You say you sample in frequency, which doesn't make sense. In NMR it is usually time domain data that are collected, sampled and transformed to the frequency domain. However a version of the theorem works in reverse anyway since the FT is symmetric between the two domains.

Last edited:
flemmyd said:
my question was: how does this related to continuous signal processing? it seems like the only way to get a continuous sample is to take an infinite number of data points- which is impossible, right?
A simple example of continuous signal processing is to take a discrete 1-second sample, and add it to 90% of the total sample (multiply the old sample by 0.9) for the previous second. Thus the total sample is quasi-continuous, and evolves as the sample signal changes. Usually, the blending of new and old signals is much faster, and the discreteness cannot be seen on a network analyzer.

Bob S

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous signal processing?

Discrete signal processing deals with signals that are represented by a sequence of discrete values, while continuous signal processing deals with signals that vary continuously over time or space.

2. What are some examples of discrete signals?

Some examples of discrete signals include digital audio signals, binary data signals, and sampled analog signals.

3. How are discrete and continuous signals processed differently?

Discrete signals are processed using algorithms and mathematical operations on the individual values in the sequence, while continuous signals are processed using techniques such as filtering, modulation, and demodulation.

4. Can discrete and continuous signal processing be used together?

Yes, in many cases discrete and continuous signal processing are used together in a hybrid approach. For example, an analog signal may be sampled and then processed using digital signal processing techniques.

5. What are some applications of discrete and continuous signal processing?

Discrete and continuous signal processing are used in a wide range of applications, including audio and video processing, telecommunications, radar and sonar systems, and medical imaging.