Band bending in a thin film semiconductor

In summary, the conversation revolves around the formation of thin semiconductor films (4-15 nm) on stainless steel through electrochemical methods. The individual asking for help believes that band bending occurs at the interface of the semiconductor passive film and the electrolyte solution, but their friend argues that it does not occur due to the small scale of the film. The semiconductor used is n-type and has a carrier density of 10E20-10E21 cm-3. There is a disagreement on whether there is a theory supporting the friend's viewpoint.
fuelcell
Hello!

There're very thin (4-15 nm) semiconductor films (passive film) formed on stainless steel by electrochemical method. In a electrochemical cell, I applied potential on stainless steel electrode to adjust Fermi level of the semiconductor passive film. I think that band bending take place in the semiconductor passive film (at the interface of passive film/electrolyte solution).

However, one of my friend think there would be no band bending in the thin layer (4-15 nm level), due to the nano-scale.

I think there's band bending take places. But I don't know his view point is right or not, please help me. Appreciate all answers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
fuelcell said:
Hello!

There're very thin (4-15 nm) semiconductor films (passive film) formed on stainless steel by electrochemical method. In a electrochemical cell, I applied potential on stainless steel electrode to adjust Fermi level of the semiconductor passive film. I think that band bending take place in the semiconductor passive film (at the interface of passive film/electrolyte solution).

However, one of my friend think there would be no band bending in the thin layer (4-15 nm level), due to the nano-scale.

I think there's band bending take places. But I don't know his view point is right or not, please help me. Appreciate all answers!

Sounds more like schoolwork than a friendly debate at the local pub. We don't answer schoolwork questions here for you, but can try to help if you seem to have done much of the work.

What course is this for? What is your textbook, and what other learning resources are you given in the course? Is this a lab class, or mostly textbook-based?

What semiconductor are you using, at what doping level, and how are you making contact to it?

Thank you, Berkeman.

It's a stainless steel corrosion research in a lab. The passive films consist of Fe/Cr oxide, behave n-type semiconductor. One side of the passive film contact with stainless steel, the other side contact with aqueous solution. According to the Mott-Schottky measurement result, band bending must take place at the interface. The carrier density is 10E20-10E21 cm-3 level.

I don't know if there's a theory supporting his view point - band bending can not take place in a thin layer semiconductor due to the nano-scale.

1. What is band bending in a thin film semiconductor?

Band bending in a thin film semiconductor refers to the change in the energy levels of the semiconductor's valence and conduction bands near the surface. This phenomenon occurs due to the presence of an electric field at the surface, which causes the bands to bend and shift in energy.

2. How does band bending affect the performance of a thin film semiconductor?

Band bending can have a significant impact on the performance of a thin film semiconductor. It can affect the flow of charge carriers, alter the energy levels of the bands, and influence the properties of semiconductor devices such as transistors and solar cells.

3. What causes band bending in a thin film semiconductor?

Band bending is caused by the presence of an electric field at the surface of the semiconductor. This field can be created by various factors, such as the presence of impurities, the application of an external voltage, or the difference in work function between the semiconductor and its contact material.

4. Can band bending be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, band bending can be controlled and manipulated through various methods. The most common approach is by using a gate voltage to adjust the electric field at the surface of the semiconductor. Additionally, the use of different materials for the semiconductor and its contacts can also influence the band bending.

5. How is band bending measured or characterized in thin film semiconductors?

Band bending can be measured and characterized using various techniques, such as Kelvin probe force microscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and various spectroscopy methods. These techniques allow for the visualization and quantification of the electric field and energy levels near the surface of the semiconductor.