Applied to grad school should I contact potential supervisors?

In summary, the individual had applied to grad schools for a PhD program and was notified that their marks did not meet the admission requirements. However, the school recognized their valuable background experience and would circulate their file to potential supervisors. The individual is now anxious and unsure of what to do. They are considering contacting individual supervisors, but are afraid of being a nuisance. Another person advises them to contact potential supervisors and have polite conversations with them, as it could lead to opportunities and may not harm their chances. They also suggest doing research on the supervisors and their projects.
tramar
I recently applied to some grad schools for a PhD program and I was notified by one particular school that while my marks were under their admission requirements, they recognize that I have valuable background experience which may allow me to succeed and that they would circulate my file to potential supervisors.

I'm very anxious and not sure what to do now. I don't want potential supervisors to simply look at my file and be deterred by marks alone. Would it be worthwhile to start contacting individual supervisors? I don't want to be a nuisance and afraid that if I contact too many people I'll be just that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I say contact them. I see where you are coming from but if i was an advisor I wouldn't mind having a conversation with you. Some people are pricks and will take you as a nuissance, but the chances are if they are a prick they won't pick you anyways or you don't want to be working under them. If you are an impressionable person and appracoh them politely, i see no harm that can come from it. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Definitely contact them. Applying at grad school level is quite serious; you should be reading research papers by your potential supervisors and asking them about projects and opportunites.

1. What is the purpose of contacting potential supervisors when applying to grad school?

Contacting potential supervisors allows you to establish a connection and express your interest in their research. It also gives you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the program or their expectations for graduate students.

2. When should I reach out to potential supervisors?

You should reach out to potential supervisors as soon as you have identified their research aligns with your interests. It is important to give them enough time to review your application and potentially have a conversation with you before making their final decision.

3. How should I contact potential supervisors?

You can contact potential supervisors through email or by attending a conference or event where they will be presenting. In your email, make sure to introduce yourself, express your interest in their research, and ask if they are currently accepting graduate students.

4. What should I include in my email to potential supervisors?

In your email, you should introduce yourself and provide a brief overview of your academic background and research interests. You should also mention why you are interested in working with them specifically and ask if they are currently accepting graduate students. It is also helpful to attach your CV and any relevant academic documents.

5. Is it necessary to contact potential supervisors before applying to grad school?

No, it is not necessary to contact potential supervisors before applying to grad school. However, it can greatly benefit your application by showing your enthusiasm and dedication to their research. It also allows you to gather more information about the program and the supervisor's expectations before making a decision.