Is Vagina Dentata a Real Condition?

• Thread starter olek1991
  • Start date
In summary, the article states that there is a real condition that causes cells to grow into the wrong kind of cell, and that it can happen with N women * LOTS years.
olek1991
Vagina Dentata is a Latin term for a rare condition that makes teeth grow out of a vagina.

Various cultures, mostly tribes in Chaco and Guiana, have tales about the Vagina Dentata, many of these are intended as warnings against the dangers of having sex with strange wOmen and to discourage rape.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

I found this on the net a few days back, what do you guys think of it?
Many people say that it's a fictional condition but the article states that it's real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780622/" is a documentary?

The myth of the vagina dentata, or vagina with teeth, derives from primitive masculine dreads of the "mysteries" of women and sexual union. It evokes castration anxiety, whereby the man fears loss of the penis during intercourse, and more generally it relates to fears of weakness, impotence, or annihilation by incorporation (connected to unconscious notions of "returning to the womb").
-- Stories of the vagina dentata persist in aboriginal myths and legends (Egyptian, Indo-European, Greek, Native American, African), as well as in contemporary narratives, such as vulgar sexist jokes.
-- Sublimated expressions of this dread underlie stories of post-coital loss of strength, such as the biblical story of Samson and Delilah, or the deep social resonance of the recent (1993) Lorena and John Wayne Bobbitt incident in America.
-- Many narratives of "hero vs. monster" also rely on the myth: for instance, Oedipus and the Sphinx, whose mythic structure underlies Benchley's novel, Jaws.
-- Some cultural surgical practices, such as clitoridectomies and other female genital mutilations (including modern episiotomies), also relate to the myth. These practices physically inscribe an assertion of masculine domination that implies a dread of feminine powers.

From a contemporary, feminist, psychoanalytic perspective, Elizabeth Grosz writes:
"The fantasy of the vagina dentata, of the non-human status of woman as android, vampire or animal, the identification of female sexuality as voracious, insatiable, enigmatic, invisible and unknowable, cold, calculating, instrumental, castrator/decapitator of the male, dissimulatress or fake, predatory, engulfing mother, preying on male weakness, are all consequences of the ways in which male orgasm has functioned as the measure and representative of all sexualities and all modes of erotic encounter." (See the article on "Animal Sex" cited below, and available online.)

Western literary allusions...
http://www.cas.buffalo.edu/classes/eng/willbern/BestSellers/Jaws/vagdent.htm

olek1991 said:
Many people say that it's a fictional condition but the article states that it's real.
There is a real condition that causes cells to grow into the wrong kind of cell.
Normally you wouldn't notice if you had a small clump of muscle cells in your fat (or the other way around), you can get into trouble if chemical producing cells turn on in the wrong place.

But the easiest ones to identify are hair and teeth - so having a lump on your arm removed and finding a tooth bud (generally not a full tooth) is noteworthy.
Since these cells can occur anywhere then with N women * LOTS years - the odds are it has happened at least once. But since these teeth are rooted in a jaw they can't do much!

Integral said:
So the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780622/" is a documentary?
Well I wouldn't go so far, but based on a true story sounds better :P

mgb_phys said:
There is a real condition that causes cells to grow into the wrong kind of cell.
Normally you wouldn't notice if you had a small clump of muscle cells in your fat (or the other way around), you can get into trouble if chemical producing cells turn on in the wrong place.

But the easiest ones to identify are hair and teeth - so having a lump on your arm removed and finding a tooth bud (generally not a full tooth) is noteworthy.
Since these cells can occur anywhere then with N women * LOTS years - the odds are it has happened at least once. But since these teeth are rooted in a jaw they can't do much!

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. YIKES! A failed twin might be another situation that could very rarely lead to some very strange results.

Ivan Seeking said:
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. YIKES! A failed twin might be another situation that could very rarely lead to some very strange results.

It says the same in the article but yea xD
Scary stuff, and those teeth can grow at any place where skin makes place for organ, so sexual organs, ears, nose.

olek1991 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

I found this on the net a few days back, what do you guys think of it?

I don't even know why I am commenting on this thread.

But- Ahem. Where on (the wiki page) "the article states that it's real.", exactly? Wikipeda can be fairly retarded, but this goes beyond the pale.

Isn't there a minimum expectation for proper referencing around here?

Andy Resnick said:

But- Ahem. Where on (the wiki page) "the article states that it's real.", exactly? Wikipeda can be fairly retarded, but this goes beyond the pale.

So because wikipedia has information on various stories/myths it's 'retarded'?

As well according to you the OPs question isn't valid? Do you assume him retarded as well for wanting to know about this?

I had a dream like this once, only it was the the mouth of "Predator"

MotoH said:
I had a dream like this once, only it was the the mouth of "Predator"

would you say it was a good dream or bad dream? :tongue:

zomgwtf said:
would you say it was a good dream or bad dream? :tongue:

Frightening at first, then mildly erotic.

MotoH said:
Frightening at first, then mildly erotic.

love it.

Certainly possible. Highly unlikely. Man's worst fear. I find it hilarious.

Kerrie said:
I find it hilarious.

oh boy I've thought up some great jokes for this, luckily only me myself and I will hear them lol :D

Andy Resnick said:

I don't think anyone here was making any claims. It was a question. And it is apparently possible that this has actually occurred.

mgb_phys said:

The only way I can think of this happening is through a dermoid cyst. They can develop teeth, bones, fat, hair, nails, etc.. The odds of it occurring IN the vagina AND grows teeth specifically, so it looks like there's a tooth or teeth in there are pretty low I'd say. Normally these cysts occur around the eyes, such as on the eyelid.

Back in the old days they didn't have proper surgery techniques I'd assume to entirely remove such a cyst, if they even would recognize it. These types of cysts can reoccur if they aren't fully removed... so it makes it possible that this one lady could have had multiple cysts :tongue:.

It's not surprising that the story is all over the place, it wouldn't have had to have happened in the specific societies with the stories. The story would just need to happen once and I'm 100% certain it would spread like a wildfire...
I mean like really? Teeth in the vagina... That's note worthy.

zomgwtf said:
The only way I can think of this happening is through a dermoid cyst. They can develop teeth, bones, fat, hair, nails, etc.. The odds of it occurring IN the vagina AND grows teeth specifically, so it looks like there's a tooth or teeth in there are pretty low I'd say. Normally these cysts occur around the eyes, such as on the eyelid.
Actually they forms in the embryonic skin cells, this is wherever the skin folds inwards to become another organ, so anywhere from eyes, ears, reproductive organs, probably nose too.

And if you google the term you can find a picture of the real deal.
Altho I doubt that the mods would like me posting it :P

olek1991 said:
Actually they forms in the embryonic skin cells, this is wherever the skin folds inwards to become another organ, so anywhere from eyes, ears, reproductive organs, probably nose too.

And if you google the term you can find a picture of the real deal.
Altho I doubt that the mods would like me posting it :P

If you have a medical journal to reference then you can post a link. If not, then you don't have a source that allows for such claims. Without a credible and appropriate journal to reference, it is not appropriate to make any definitive claims.

You started out by asking a question, and now you're making claims.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If you have a medical journal to reference then you can post a link. If not, then you don't have a source that allows for such claims. Without a credible and appropriate journal to reference, it is not appropriate to make any definitive claims.

You started out by asking a question, and now you're making claims.

What he said is correct, but I don't see how it contradicts anything that I've said

This is ridiculous. The wiki page does not say this is a real phenomenon, the OP said the wiki article 'states it's real'. The articles referenced by wiki contain nothing other than hearsay. yet people on this thread are *insisting* women can grow teeth in their vagina.

I have several books on medical oddities. The reason those are taken serious is because there is *evidence*. Pictures. case studies. You know- sciencey-stuff.

Seems to me that there's a population here that *wishes* it were true.

Andy Resnick said:
This is ridiculous. The wiki page does not say this is a real phenomenon, the OP said the wiki article 'states it's real'. The articles referenced by wiki contain nothing other than hearsay. yet people on this thread are *insisting* women can grow teeth in their vagina.

I have several books on medical oddities. The reason those are taken serious is because there is *evidence*. Pictures. case studies. You know- sciencey-stuff.

Seems to me that there's a population here that *wishes* it were true.
Well since you seem to be compelled to post here a second time without substantiating your claim that this is impossible. And you are trying to make it look as though people are making stuff up so that there 'dream vagina' were true here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermoid_cyst

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dermoid+cyst+in+pelvic+region

maybe now you could give it a rest?

EDIT: As well no, the OP never said a wiki page had said that this was a real occurance. He said THE ARTICLE. It looks like when he referenced the quote he gave he posted the wrong link... not that big of a mistake it's now fixed I just checked and it says:
In reality vagina dentata is a very rare existing condition.

Any more complaints from you sir?
I thought that it was pretty clear that he had cited the wrong source seeing as the quote he posted wasn't found anywhere in the article. Also on the new source he cites it also lists dermoid cysts as the culprit.

zomgwtf said:
Well since you seem to be compelled to post here a second time without substantiating your claim that this is impossible. And you are trying to make it look as though people are making stuff up so that there 'dream vagina' were true here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermoid_cyst

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dermoid+cyst+in+pelvic+region

maybe now you could give it a rest?

EDIT: As well no, the OP never said a wiki page had said that this was a real occurance. He said THE ARTICLE. It looks like when he referenced the quote he gave he posted the wrong link... not that big of a mistake it's now fixed I just checked and it says:

Any more complaints from you sir?
I thought that it was pretty clear that he had cited the wrong source seeing as the quote he posted wasn't found anywhere in the article. Also on the new source he cites it also lists dermoid cysts as the culprit.

I did see one link that seems to confirm the claim that this is a condition seen rarely today.
http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/13198.html

However, we have not yet seen a definitive source confirming the claim.

When one is making a definitive claim, simply posting google pages is not sufficient. We need a specific link from a credible source, which does not include wiki.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I did see one link that seems to confirm the claim that this is a condition seen rarely today.
http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/13198.html

However, we have not yet seen a definitive source confirming the claim.

When one is making a definitive claim, simply posting google pages is not sufficient. We need a specific link from a credible source, which does not include wiki.

No it's a condition seen rarely PERIOD... and this doctor plus the numerous people who probably know more about medical biology than you do don't count as definitive sources that this condition can and most likely has occured?

What do you need a picture of a vagina with a tooth in it? Like what the heck just accept the condition is possible and move on.

EDIT: I sure hope that the OP wasn't banned because of this thread... that's pretty stupid. No one has made any definitive claims about ANYTHING to do with Vagina Dentata... only to do with Dermoid Cyst... or have dermoid cysts existence been called into question too?

zomgwtf said:
No it's a condition seen rarely PERIOD... and this doctor plus the numerous people who probably know more about medical biology than you do don't count as definitive sources that this condition can and most likely has occured?

What do you need a picture of a vagina with a tooth in it? Like what the heck just accept the condition is possible and move on.

EDIT: I sure hope that the OP wasn't banned because of this thread... that's pretty stupid. No one has made any definitive claims about ANYTHING to do with Vagina Dentata... only to do with Dermoid Cyst... or have dermoid cysts existence been called into question too?
The OP wasn't banned because of this thread.

This thread is as tasteless as the stories about surgical instruments being left behind after hysterectomy, and the male organ coming into contact with them during coitus.

olek1991 said:
And if you google the term you can find a picture of the real deal. Altho I doubt that the mods would like me posting it :P

A definitive claim was made.

zomgwtf said:

No, hearsay is not a definitive source.

I told you that we need a reference to a medical journal that states this as fact.

You know how anyone can tell there is no such thing as Vagina Dentata? Vagina has an acidic environment which will destroy the dentin from forming.

QED.

Personal theories are not appropriate either. Either we have a proper reference or we don't.

Ivan Seeking said:
Personal theories are not appropriate either. Either we have a proper reference or we don't.

Thats like asking for a reference that god doesn't exist.

"..the odontoblast intracellular pH was found to be 6.66±0.02"
"the pH in the extracellular predentin was higher than the intracellular pH, 7.00±0.02"

http://www.springerlink.com/content/387625t20l862w22/

Normal vaginal pH is 3.8 to 4.5

So unless you are packing yogurt in with sodium bicarbonate and supplemental calcium with odontoblasts, I don't see how this is anything but an urban myth. Although wait for the train of evolutionary biologists who will say 'well these are the normal operating pH values, you don't have any experimental data to suggest that dentin won't form at lower pH around 4.5" :grumpy:

Anyways seeing as the google search for dermoid cysts and a link to a wiki page about dermoid cysts wasn't good enough. Must be a medical journal (even though wiki is used as a source COUNTLESS times on this forum)

Here's one I dug up specifically on a vaginal dermoid cyst:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/104083805/PDFSTART
Vaginal dermoid cyst is a rare finding.
The finding of a paravaginal cyst is not uncommon in
clinical examination, but making an accurate diagnosis
is sometimes difficult. Most of these cysts are either
derived from embryological remnants or are epithelial
inclusion cysts. We report the sonographic characteristics
of a vaginal lesion that was diagnosed histopathologically
as a rare dermoid cyst.

Next up I assume you want a source from a medical journal stating that dermoid cysts can form teeth?
Here's a case study of a man with a cyst in his cecum (intestine) and they specifically point out that there was:
No calcification, hair, teeth, or bone elements was detected.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12073078
Wonder why they would point that out?

Here's from a pamphlet on Ovarian Cysts:
Dermoid cysts form from a type of cell capable of developing into different kinds of tissue, such as skin, hair, fat, and teeth. Dermoid cysts may be present from birth but grow during a woman’s reproductive years. These cysts may be found on one or both ovaries. Dermoid cysts often are small and may not cause symptoms. If they become large, they may cause pain.
http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp075.cfm

cronxeh said:

"the pH in the extracellular predentin was higher than the intracellular pH, 7.00±0.02"

So unless you are packing yogurt in with sodium bicarbonate and supplemental calcium with odontoblasts, I don't see how this is anything but an urban myth

I'm not asking for proof that this never occurs. I am asking for proof that it does. You made a definitive statement that is not directly supported by a proper medical reference.

You know how anyone can tell there is no such thing as Vagina Dentata? Vagina has an acidic environment which will destroy the dentin from forming.

QED.

No, not QED. That is an argument, not a fact.

cronxeh said:

So unless you are packing yogurt in with sodium bicarbonate and supplemental calcium with odontoblasts, I don't see how this is anything but an urban myth. Although wait for the train of evolutionary biologists who will say 'well these are the normal operating pH values, you don't have any experimental data to suggest that dentin won't form at lower pH around 4.5" :grumpy:
Or wait for someone to point out to you that it's inside a CYST. If you can understand what that means.

Okay, there was a timing issue in that I was posting and editing off-topic posts while zomgwtf was posting the required links. The thread is open.

Last edited: