(NOT A QUESTION) How to find the probability of meeting someone.

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of calculating the probability of two people meeting between two specific times, with the understanding that each person will wait no more than a certain number of time intervals for the other. The speaker shares a link to a webpage that explains this concept in an easy-to-understand manner and gives credit to Google for helping them on their quest to find an explanation. The concept is related to the law of encounters.
moonman239
This is not a tutorial, but I thought I'd post a link to a Webpage dedicated to calculating the probability that two people will meet between two times, with the understanding that each will wait no more than n time intervals for the other. (Special thanks to Google for helping me on my quest to find an easy-to-understand explanation.)http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath124/kmath124.htm"

And mods, please feel free to post this in the Math subsection of the Homework section and sticky it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A situation like this involves the law of encounters, just found out.

What is the definition of probability?

Probability refers to the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is typically represented as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating no chance and 1 indicating certainty.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you a decimal or fraction that can be converted to a percentage.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and predictions, while experimental probability is based on actual results from experiments or observations. Theoretical probability is often used for predicting outcomes, while experimental probability is used to analyze and understand real-world data.

How does sample size affect probability?

The larger the sample size, the more accurate the probability calculation will be. This is because a larger sample size reduces the margin of error and provides a more representative sample of the population.

Can probability be used to predict the future?

While probability can be used to make predictions, it cannot guarantee the future outcome of an event. Probability is based on chance and can be influenced by many factors, making it a useful tool for understanding likelihood but not a certainty.