Is My Coin Toss Hypothesis Correct?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation was about the importance of effective communication in relationships. The speakers discussed how communication can help resolve conflicts and build trust. They also mentioned the impact of technology on communication and the need to actively listen and understand each other's perspectives.
moonman239
If I hypothesize that 70% of all my future coin tosses will come up heads, and I sample 15 coin tosses and get 13 heads, what is the probability that my hypothesis is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously you underestimated, so you need to calculate whether the difference 13/15 - 0.7 is significantly different from zero.

See figure 1 of http://www.sportsmed.org/tabs/research/downloads/Research%208%20-%20Discrete%20Data.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a P value for coin tosses?

The P value for coin tosses is a statistical measure that indicates the probability of obtaining results at least as extreme as the observed results, assuming that the null hypothesis (no difference between the two groups being compared) is true.

2. How is the P value calculated for coin tosses?

The P value for coin tosses is calculated by using the binomial distribution formula, which takes into account the number of trials and the probability of success for each trial.

3. What does a P value for coin tosses of less than 0.05 indicate?

A P value for coin tosses of less than 0.05 indicates that the observed results are statistically significant and unlikely to have occurred by chance. This means that there is evidence to reject the null hypothesis and support the alternative hypothesis.

4. Is a lower P value always better?

In general, a lower P value is considered better as it indicates a higher level of statistical significance. However, the interpretation of the P value also depends on the specific research question and context.

5. Can the P value for coin tosses be interpreted as the probability of the null hypothesis being true?

No, the P value for coin tosses should not be interpreted as the probability of the null hypothesis being true. It only indicates the likelihood of obtaining the observed results if the null hypothesis is true. The interpretation of the P value should always be considered in conjunction with other factors such as effect size and sample size.