Partial Taylor Series Expansion

In summary, the conversation is about using a Taylor series expansion for multivariable functions. The speaker is confused about how to apply it to a function with multiple variables, but only expanding it about one variable. They provide an example and ask for clarification, to which another person confirms that the ordinary Taylor series formula works for a single-variable function. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing gratitude for the help.
Saladsamurai
"Partial" Taylor Series Expansion

It has been awhile since I have had to use a Taylor series expansion (from scratch). I looked it up on wiki and the rules are easy enough, I am just a little confused as to how I apply it to a multivariable function, but only expand it about one variable.

For example, if I want to expand the function f(x,y) about x = a only, for let's say the first two terms of the expansion, how would I do that?

Would it just be:

[tex] f(x,y) = f(a,y) + \frac{f_x(a,y)}{1!}(x - a)[/tex] ?

I have a feeling it is not this simple...
Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

That looks right. The function gy defined by
gy(x) = f(x,y)​
is an ordinary single-variable function, and the ordinary Taylor series formula works.

Hurkyl said:
That looks right. The function gy defined by
gy(x) = f(x,y)​
is an ordinary single-variable function, and the ordinary Taylor series formula works.

Sweet! Thanks Hurkyl. :smile:

1. What is a Partial Taylor Series Expansion?

A Partial Taylor Series Expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a finite number of terms from its Taylor Series. It is useful for approximating complex functions, especially when an exact solution is difficult to find.

2. How is a Partial Taylor Series Expansion calculated?

To calculate a Partial Taylor Series Expansion, the function is first expanded into its Taylor Series. Then, a finite number of terms are selected and used to approximate the function. The number of terms chosen will determine the accuracy of the approximation.

3. What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Partial Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is an infinite series that represents a function at every point in its domain, while a Partial Taylor Series only includes a finite number of terms. This means that a Taylor Series is an exact representation of a function, while a Partial Taylor Series is an approximation.

4. When is a Partial Taylor Series Expansion useful?

A Partial Taylor Series Expansion is useful when an exact solution to a function is difficult to find or when the function is too complicated to work with directly. It can also be used to estimate the value of a function at a particular point or to numerically solve differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Partial Taylor Series Expansion?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Partial Taylor Series Expansion. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms chosen, so it may not be accurate enough for some applications. Additionally, the function must be differentiable and have a convergent Taylor Series in order for a Partial Taylor Series Expansion to be possible.