How is data encoded in copper/light?

• Thread starter KillaChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the Silicon Photonics demo by Intel showcases a different approach to data storage using electrons and light. The process involves muxing and demuxing different wavelengths of light, with data encoded in them, to be sent through a wire. This is achieved through modulation techniques, such as amplitude modulation, where the intensity of the light corresponds to a 1 or 0. This allows for multiple channels of data to be transmitted simultaneously, greatly increasing the bandwidth. However, this technology also presents challenges such as temperature control and precise design of color filters.
KillaChaos
I was watching the Silicon Photonics demo Intel posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3DaACN_54&feature=player_embedded) and I got interested in how data is stored in electrons/light. I previously thought that a "1" or "0" was sent to a chip depending on if the light was on or off. However this photonics demo looks different. He described muxing/demuxing process as taking a whole bunch of different wavelength of light, with data "in" them and sending them through a wire. I am guessing a different wave length (for example 400nm-405nm = 1 and 405nm-410nm = 0) would denote the data but I cannot find any articles that back up my claim for this process. Also, I realized that I have no idea how data travels over copper, nor do I know where to begin (I probably don't know much about electricity, but I don't know how you can have a signal in a copper wire when electrons are just flowing).

I hope my questions are not too poorly worded and if anyone can help me wrap me head around this it would be a huge help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
KillaChaos said:
I was watching the Silicon Photonics demo Intel posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3DaACN_54&feature=player_embedded) and I got interested in how data is stored in electrons/light. I previously thought that a "1" or "0" was sent to a chip depending on if the light was on or off. However this photonics demo looks different. He described muxing/demuxing process as taking a whole bunch of different wavelength of light, with data "in" them and sending them through a wire. I am guessing a different wave length (for example 400nm-405nm = 1 and 405nm-410nm = 0) would denote the data but I cannot find any articles that back up my claim for this process. Also, I realized that I have no idea how data travels over copper, nor do I know where to begin (I probably don't know much about electricity, but I don't know how you can have a signal in a copper wire when electrons are just flowing).

I hope my questions are not too poorly worded and if anyone can help me wrap me head around this it would be a huge help.

A keyword is "modulation" -- that is how information is encoded into the carrier medium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation

KillaChaos said:
] Also, I realized that I have no idea how data travels over copper, nor do I know where to begin (I probably don't know much about electricity, but I don't know how you can have a signal in a copper wire when electrons are just flowing).

It's not just "electrons" that are flowing, rather than, a whole bunch a independent radio waves is traveling which can exist at different frequencies or channels within a copper/fiber medium. The differences between copper and fiber lies in the number of radiowaves you can squeeze in. In optical fibers, you can squeeze in trillions more waves layman speaking than in copper.

So now that you have a radio wave riding in a medium, let it be copper or fiber or whatever, how do you send data?

The answer lies in modulation as berkeman stated, and there is many different types. A simple one is amplitude modulation. Simply represent a strong wave with 1, and a weak wave with 0, and send them along.

Typically with fibers, the intensity of the light corresponds to a 1 or 0 and the intensity of the light can be varied rapidly - billions of times for second. However, this doesn't make the best use out of the fiber, because there are different colors or "wavelengths" of light that can all be passing through the same fiber. Each wavelength starts from a separate laser diode, and and now each laser diode can be controlled with 1's and 0's.

Thus you can send 10 channels all down the same fiber (10 x the communications bandwidth) by using 10 separate lasers.

On the other end, the wavelengths need to be seperated, detected, and converted back to electrical signals. Again, 10 colors must be separated into 10 wavelengths and in turn into 10 multi-gigabyte signals.

This is pretty exciting stuff, but it can get tricky. The lasers change wavelength as their temperature changes. Thus they need temperature controls. Also, the color filters need to be carefully designed and fabricated. It's even possible, at the crazy limits of the technology, that the bandwidth of the color filter can interfere with the bandwidth of the recovered electrical signal because such a narrow band is filtered through that it "averages out" the passed signal!

1. How is data transmitted through copper wires?

Data is transmitted through copper wires by using electrical signals. These signals are converted into binary code, which consists of 0s and 1s. The 0s and 1s represent the digital data that is being transmitted.

2. What is the role of copper in data encoding?

Copper is used as the medium for data encoding because it is a good conductor of electricity. This allows for the efficient transmission of electrical signals and the conversion of data into binary code.

3. How is data encoded in light for fiber optics?

Data is encoded in light for fiber optics by using a process called modulation. This involves converting the electrical signals into light signals using a laser or LED. The light signals are then transmitted through the fiber optic cable and converted back into electrical signals at the receiving end.

4. What is the difference between data encoding in copper and fiber optics?

The main difference between data encoding in copper and fiber optics is the medium used for transmission. Copper wires use electrical signals, while fiber optics use light signals. Additionally, fiber optics allow for faster and more efficient data transmission compared to copper wires.

5. How is data encoded in copper for wireless communication?

Data is encoded in copper for wireless communication by using a process called multiplexing. This involves combining multiple signals onto a single copper wire using different frequencies. At the receiving end, the signals are separated and converted back into their original form.