New Proton Measurements: 4% Smaller - Implications

• Thread starter Trexman89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, the new measurements suggest that the proton is actually 4% smaller than previously thought. If this is true, it could have implications for the way that the atom works.
Trexman89
First of all, do you believe the new measurements are accurate and the proton is actually 4% smaller. If you do, What implications do you think this will have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trexman89 said:
First of all, do you believe the new measurements are accurate and the proton is actually 4% smaller. If you do, What implications do you think this will have?

Hmmm, the old "does size matter?" question. Why not ask the electron, since she is his natural mate?

stevenb said:
Hmmm, the old "does size matter?" question. Why not ask the electron, since she is his natural mate?

lol, I don't think she'd notice if he's 4% smaller.

lmao... nice guys... hey all first post.

honestly i think its too soon to go around saying the new size is accurate.

Hm, I've always thought quantum mechanics didn't allow precise length measurements.
If it is hard to define what is the size of an atom, I'm wondering how to define a proton's size.

Where have you found this news?

Acut said:
Hm, I've always thought quantum mechanics didn't allow precise length measurements.
If it is hard to define what is the size of an atom, I'm wondering how to define a proton's size.

Where have you found this news?

It doesn't allow simultaneous precise measurements of observables that don't commute.

@zhermes
Thank you! I didn't know such definitions existed - I know very little QM, indeed.

@Acut
np. The concept of "boundaries" in general is pretty wild. The table I'm writing on, has no clear boundaries: the surface is just the average location at which the electrons in my hands strongly repel the electrons in the wood. Our E&M fields interact at all distances, and with enough force we could become arbitrarily "close."
Crazy stuff! :)

@zhermes
Yes, there are no sharp boundaries. In one of Feynman's lectures on Physics, a entire section is used to illustrate those blurred definitions.

By the way, I forgot asking... @ OP: where have you read about those new measurements?

Acut said:
By the way, I forgot asking... @ OP: where have you read about those new measurements?

I'm not the OP (obviously), but I read about it http://www.physorg.com/news197727820.html" last month.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the implications of the new proton measurements being 4% smaller?

The new proton measurements being 4% smaller have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter. It suggests that the current model of the proton may need to be revised, and could potentially lead to new discoveries in the field of particle physics.

2. How were these new proton measurements obtained?

The new proton measurements were obtained using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. Scientists used a technique called "deep inelastic scattering" to study the internal structure of protons and determine their size.

3. What does a 4% decrease in proton size mean for the rest of the atomic structure?

A 4% decrease in proton size could have implications for the rest of the atomic structure, as the size of the proton is a key factor in determining the size and properties of atoms. It could potentially impact our understanding of atomic nuclei, electron orbitals, and the overall stability of atoms.

4. Could this discovery have any practical applications?

While the discovery of smaller proton measurements may not have immediate practical applications, it could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces at work in our universe. This could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in the future.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand the implications of these new proton measurements?

Further research is needed to confirm and validate these new proton measurements, as well as to understand the implications for other areas of physics. Scientists will continue to study the data from the LHC and conduct experiments to gain a better understanding of the proton's size and structure.