What is a Common Denominator for Multiplying Fractions?

• Thread starter skyie1
  • Start date
In summary, Skyie is having trouble with her daughter's homework that asks her to simplify an expression. She asks for help and is told that the expression isn't an equation, that she doesn't need to find a common denominator, and that the fractions can be simplified with the help of parentheses and the distributive property.
skyie1
I know next to nothing about this stuff, and have a problem that is due Monday... I have signed up with a tutor, but not able to begin studies until Thursday...
Anyway, my problem is as follows:
y=3x-4
5x+y=3

We are to solve for x and y using addition, subtraction and subsitution, and then graphicly, min of three points...

I would be thankful for any help... Skyie :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
"x" and "y" are some two numbers, right?
(You don't know at the moment their values)
So, the first equation says:
y=3x-4
This means, that whatever values "x" and "y" have we have been told that "y" is equally big as 3 times x minus 4 (right?)
So, whenever we meet "y" (for example in your second equation), we might substitute 3x-4 for "y" (that expression has, by our first equation, the same value as "y")
Does this help you?

Hello I am hoping someone can help. My daughter has an equation she does not understand and I am unable to help her.

-5/8 x 16/21 x (-7/15)

I cannot seem to figure out what the common denominator would be for her to be able to work her way through this

Can anyone help?

Hi, sdmcam :welcome to PF!
(Just a note: Please don't hijack another person's yhread in the future, post your own :smile:)

Now, as far as I can tell, you've gor an expression here which you want to simplify?
Is the "x" a multiplication sign?

sdmcam said:
Hello I am hoping someone can help. My daughter has an equation she does not understand and I am unable to help her.

-5/8 x 16/21 x (-7/15)

I cannot seem to figure out what the common denominator would be for her to be able to work her way through this

Can anyone help?

First, this is not an equation, it is an "expression" (it's not an equation because it's not equal to anything).

Secondly, multiplying fractions, you don't need to find a "common denominator"- that's used in adding or subtracting fractions.

[tex]\frac{-5}{8}\frac{16}{21}\frac{-7}{15}[/tex]

Notice that one fraction has 8 in the denominator and another has 16 in the numerator: 16/8= 2. One fraction has 5 in the numerator and the other has 15 in the denominator: 5/15= 1/3. One fraction has 21 in the denominator and another has 7 in the numerator: 7/21= 1/3. Finally, (-)(-)= +.

This is the same as
[tex]\frac{2}{(3)(3)}= \frac{2}{9}[/tex].

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between different quantities. It typically consists of numbers, variables, and mathematical symbols such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the purpose of graphing an equation?

The purpose of graphing an equation is to visually represent the relationship between two or more variables. This can help us analyze the data and make predictions about the behavior of the variables.

How do I graph an equation?

To graph an equation, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane and then connect them with a line. The x-axis represents the independent variable and the y-axis represents the dependent variable. You can use a calculator or a graphing software to help you with this process.

What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation shows an exact relationship between two quantities, while an inequality shows a range of possible values for one or more variables. Inequalities are often represented by shaded regions on a graph, rather than a single line.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when graphing an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when graphing an equation include plotting points incorrectly, omitting negative signs, and misinterpreting the slope and y-intercept. It is important to double-check your work and use the correct mathematical symbols when graphing an equation.