Resume building for math PHD (current MS student)

In summary, industry internships can be a valuable addition to your application for PhD programs in applied math.
filter54321
Hello all,

I did my BS in finance and business management (fluff, I know) in 2007. I worked for three years but starting in 2009 I got bored and took some undergrad classes in math. I had some calculus as an undergrad but I took advanced calculus, real analysis and ODEs over 2009-2010.

This past September I quit my job in New York City and went to the best local, public university known for math CUNY-CCNY. Realistically, I had perfect marks as an undergrad but cost and lack of preparation pretty much barred me from anywhere else.

It looks like I will be finishing the masters in 3 semesters (December 2011) and I will be applying for phd programs in *APPLIED MATH* in fall 2011. I like analysis, PDEs and probability/stats and solving real world problems (generally speaking). I despise algebra, set theory, number theory and logic.

I need some advice on the all important research experience part of the application. My understanding is that I am barred from NSF REU's because I am a grad student (but not a "real one"). On the other hand there's no chance in hell of getting into a summer slot someplace for graduate students because "real ones" will get them. As far as I can tell, my particular campus is really weak on applied math so sticking around for the summer won't be interesting - but if it helps, it helps.

Will an internship in industry count for anything? Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!</code>Industry internships can definitely count for something when you are applying for PhD programs in applied math. It shows that you have practical experience with solving real-world problems. Depending on the type of industry internship, it may also demonstrate that you are capable of working outside of an academic environment and that you have the skills necessary to work in a professional setting. Additionally, many industry internships offer research opportunities that could give you the additional research experience that you may need for your application. Finally, if your industry internship is related to the field of applied math that you want to pursue, it could help you demonstrate your understanding of the subject matter and how it applies to the wider world.

1. What should I include in my resume as a math PHD (current MS student)?

As a math PHD (current MS student), your resume should include your educational background, including the name of the university, your degree, and your expected graduation date. Additionally, you should include any relevant coursework or research projects, as well as any publications or presentations you have been a part of. It is also important to highlight any relevant skills or technical abilities, such as programming languages or statistical software.

2. How should I format my resume for a math PHD (current MS student)?

Your resume should be well-organized and easy to read. Use headings and bullet points to break up information and make it easier for the reader to scan. It is also important to use a consistent and professional font throughout the resume. Additionally, consider using a resume template specifically designed for graduate students or academics.

3. Should I include my undergraduate GPA on my resume as a math PHD (current MS student)?

This depends on your individual circumstances. If your undergraduate GPA is high (3.5 or above), it can be beneficial to include it on your resume. However, if your GPA is lower or if you have completed several years of graduate coursework, it may be more relevant to highlight your graduate GPA or specific courses you have taken.

4. How can I showcase my research experience on my resume as a math PHD (current MS student)?

When listing research experience on your resume, be sure to include the project or study name, the name of the professor or research advisor, and your specific role or contributions. You can also include any publications or presentations resulting from the research. Additionally, consider highlighting any specific skills or techniques you utilized during the research process.

5. Should I tailor my resume for each job application as a math PHD (current MS student)?

Yes, it is important to tailor your resume for each job application. Take the time to carefully read the job description and highlight any relevant skills or experiences that you possess. You can also research the company or organization to gain a better understanding of their specific needs and customize your resume accordingly. This will show the employer that you have taken the time to understand their needs and are a good fit for the position.