Calculating Recursive Derivatives at Point x=0

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving calculating f(f(f(x))) at point x=0, given that f(0) = 0 and f'(0) = 1. The conversation includes hints and explanations on how to solve the problem, with the final calculation resulting in 1. The person also asks for further clarification on another question.
Monsu
hi, could smne pls give me an idea of how to deal with this problem?

Suppose that f(0) = 0 and that f'(0) =1 , calculate f(f(f(x))) at point x=0
thanks a lot, any hint at all would b helpful, as i completely clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
if f(0) = 0 then f(f(0)) = f(0) = 0.. it's recursive. I am not sure why you would need f'(x) to solve nothing to do with derivatives. Are you sure you typed the question correctly?

here it is again:
f(0) = 0 and f'(0) = 1 calculate the derivative of f(f(f(x))) at point x=0

that's the exact question.
thanks for the help on the second question

Last edited:
Oh I see calculate the DERIVATIVE of f(f(f(0)))

First let's set g(x) = f(f(x))
g'(x) is therefore f'(f(x))*f'(x)

Derivative f(g(x)) after substitution is f'(g(x))*g'(x)

= f'(f(f(0)))*f'(f(0))*f'(0)

What a mouthful. If I were to venture a wild crazy guess I'd say that simplifies to 1.

oh great! i just worked it out, it did come to 1. thanks a lot.
can u give a further hint on the other question, I'm still a bit confused there.
thanks again, marvellous!

1. What is a "Recursive Derivatives problem"?

A Recursive Derivatives problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function that is defined in terms of itself. This means that the function appears on both sides of the equation, creating a recursive relationship.

2. Why are Recursive Derivatives problems challenging?

Recursive Derivatives problems can be challenging because they require a deep understanding of calculus and the concept of derivatives. In addition, the recursive nature of these problems can make them difficult to solve algebraically, requiring the use of advanced techniques or computer algorithms.

3. How do you solve a Recursive Derivatives problem?

To solve a Recursive Derivatives problem, you can use a variety of techniques such as the power rule, product rule, or chain rule, depending on the specific problem. It may also be helpful to rewrite the recursive equation into a non-recursive form before taking the derivative.

4. What are some real-life applications of Recursive Derivatives?

Recursive Derivatives have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model population growth or the spread of diseases in a population.

5. Are there any tips for approaching Recursive Derivatives problems?

Some tips for approaching Recursive Derivatives problems include understanding the fundamentals of calculus, practicing with simpler recursive functions before moving on to more complex ones, and using diagrams or graphs to visualize the problem and its solution.