Graphical Vector Problem (What are they asking for?)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the question is asking for you to measure the lengths of vectors A and B and find their values so that their product C equals a given number.
Saladsamurai
"Graphical" Vector Problem (What are they asking for?)

Homework Statement

Here is the problem statement. I honestly don't understand what it is they are asking for? Do they want actual numbers? Am I supposed to measure the lengths with a ruler or something? I know it's easy once I interpret the question correctly :smile:
Doc-11_14_105_08PM-page-1.jpg

How would you interpret this one?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey, that vector A in part (c) is bent. Must have a non-zero curl :tongue2:

Yup, that's what I would do. Draw them carefully, construct the corresponding parallelograms and figure out the alpha and beta by measuring to scale things. "Trace" them certainly suggests that.

LCKurtz said:
Hey, that vector A in part (c) is bent. Must have a non-zero curl :tongue2:

Yup, that's what I would do. Draw them carefully, construct the corresponding parallelograms and figure out the alpha and beta by measuring to scale things. "Trace" them certainly suggests that.

Haha! :rofl: Thanks LCKurtz! Don't quit your day job (assuming you have one!)!

By "graphical means" they mean for you to extend the vectors A and B so that the lengthened vectors form two sides of a parallelogram whose diagonal is C. You'll need to find the lengths of A and B with a ruler so that you can determine the values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] so that [itex]\alpha[/itex]A + [itex]\beta[/itex]B = C.

For example, if you have to double the lengths of A and B to form the parallelogram, then [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\beta[/itex] = 2.

Your mileage may vary...

I must be an idiot. I cannot see a way to extend or shorten A and B such that C becomes the diagonal of the parallelogram. My brain keeps making B the diagonal since it is more intuitive to me.

Don't forget that your coefficients of A and/or B may be negative so you also have to consider the opposite of A or B when making your parallelogram.

1. What is a Graphical Vector Problem?

A Graphical Vector Problem is a type of problem that involves using vector quantities to represent physical quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and force, in order to solve a given problem. It typically involves drawing a diagram to visually represent the problem and using vector addition and subtraction to determine the final solution.

2. How do you solve a Graphical Vector Problem?

To solve a Graphical Vector Problem, you first need to identify the given vector quantities and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, draw a diagram to visually represent the problem and use vector addition and subtraction to determine the final solution. It is important to use the correct scale and direction when drawing the vectors on the diagram.

3. What are some common applications of Graphical Vector Problems?

Graphical Vector Problems are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to motion, forces, and other physical quantities. They are also used in navigation, such as determining the displacement and velocity of a moving object, and in computer graphics to represent and manipulate 2D and 3D objects.

4. What are some key concepts to understand in Graphical Vector Problems?

Some key concepts to understand in Graphical Vector Problems include vector addition and subtraction, vector components, and the use of trigonometry and Pythagorean theorem to determine vector magnitudes and directions. It is also important to understand how to draw and manipulate vectors on a diagram and how to use vector diagrams to solve problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Graphical Vector Problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving Graphical Vector Problems is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the key concepts and techniques. You can also seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources to better understand the concepts and how to apply them in different types of problems. Additionally, working through various examples and challenging yourself with more complex problems can also help improve your skills.