Magnifying a display without compromising exit pupil

• Thread starter zacherynuk
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice and assistance with upgrading a head mounted display by using optical solutions. They have acquired smaller displays and want to increase the image size while maintaining the comfort and quality of the original eyepieces. They have considered using a concave mirror, lenses, and a beam splitter, but are concerned about potential decrease in exit pupil size and image quality. They have attached diagrams and are open to any suggestions.
zacherynuk
Hello, I hope somebody can help me, or point me in the right direction... or perhaps just say "that's impossible - go down the pub instead"

I am currently looking into ways of upgrading a head mounted display, although I have had some good results using projected images, I would like to try and build an optical based solution.

The headset (an old VR4) uses LEEP style optics, which focus on 33mm diagonal display which is 17mm from optic; these optics provide excellent user comfort due to their exit pupil size (12mm), Field of View (60d) and eye relief (25mm).

I have acquired some high resolutions displays, which are much smaller, in fact 1/3 the size of the displays which the eyepiece optica are calibrated for.

So, if at all possible, I would like to be able to find a way of increasing the size of the image from these displays, 3X, so that we can use our current eyepieces. Initial tests have ruined the exit pupil and made the eyepieces hard to use.

I have thought about using a concave mirror with a beam splitter, perhaps with an additional field lens at the 17mm focal point. Or using one or two simple lenses, or even a freznal lens, but I fear all of these will reduce the eyepiece exit pupil.

I have attached some diagrams, with my ideas I don't think a beam splitter would allow enough light through, but I don't think a lens alone could do the job - and I don't know where to begin calculatng what lenses would be required.

Any and all help and advice is much appreciated!

Basic:
[URL]http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/hmd/tmp/SmallerDisplayDiagram.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/hmd/tmp/SmallerDisplayDiagramUsingMirror.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Hmmm.. this is a tough one.

Naively, you want a 3x image of the new display placed at the location of the original display, which I think is fairly straightforward with a simple magnifier- but I don't know if the exit pupil will remain the same size.

My suspicion is that it won't- the entendue (image height * angle of the chief ray) is conserved in lossless optical systems, so increasing the image height will decrease the brightness/exit pupil diameter.

Andy Resnick said:
Hmmm.. this is a tough one.

Naively, you want a 3x image of the new display placed at the location of the original display, which I think is fairly straightforward with a simple magnifier- but I don't know if the exit pupil will remain the same size.

My suspicion is that it won't- the entendue (image height * angle of the chief ray) is conserved in lossless optical systems, so increasing the image height will decrease the brightness/exit pupil diameter.

Exactly. The eyepiece is made of three lenses, the canter one is the magnifier, simply adding to or replacing this with a stronger lens was my first thought, this and adding a single 10mm fl lens between the eyepiece and the display gives magnification at the expense of exit pupil and image quality – edges are blurred, for example and small movements of the eye away from dead-centre result in distortion.
I think I may be looking at this problem the wrong way round…

1. How does magnifying a display affect the exit pupil?

Magnifying a display decreases the size of the exit pupil, which is the area where light enters the eye. This can result in a darker and narrower field of view.

2. Can the exit pupil be maintained while magnifying a display?

Yes, it is possible to maintain the same exit pupil size while magnifying a display. This can be achieved by using optical systems such as eyepieces or lenses that are designed to maintain a specific exit pupil size.

3. What are the benefits of magnifying a display without compromising the exit pupil?

Magnifying a display without compromising the exit pupil allows for a larger and clearer image to be viewed without sacrificing the brightness or field of view. This can be especially beneficial for individuals with vision impairments.

4. Is it possible to magnify a display without affecting the exit pupil at all?

No, magnifying a display will inevitably affect the exit pupil to some degree. However, with the use of specialized optical systems, the impact on the exit pupil can be minimized.

5. Are there any limitations to magnifying a display without compromising the exit pupil?

There are some limitations to this approach, such as the potential for image distortion or reduced image quality. Additionally, the size of the display may also impact the effectiveness of maintaining the exit pupil size.