Can Life exist if Clocks were not discovered?

• Thread starter Wave's_Hand_Particle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clocks Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an intelligent species evolving without the concept of time and whether clocks are necessary for civilization to comprehend the universe. Some participants argue that time is an inherent and vital part of the universe and that without a concept of it, it would be difficult to label a species as intelligent. Others suggest that time's direction and magnitude may not be constant and that animals and plants have existed for millions of years without a definitive concept of time. The conversation also touches on some physicists' ideas to do away with the concept of time, but the majority seem to believe that time is necessary for understanding the universe.
Wave's_Hand_Particle
And thus, is it feasible that if the Cosmos has life in other Galaxies, could they evolve without the discovery of Time Measurement Device's, namely clocks?

What if the standard measure were just Length and Distance?..could a civilisation comprehend the Cosmos without Clocks?

Physics news on Phys.org
"To see a World in a grain of sand, And Heaven in a wild flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour."

William Blake

Clocks just measure change. Comprehension is awareness of change, not necessarilly measurement.

exactley what i think. but when you say somesuch thing on one of the science forums you get bombed by physics terminology that i understand just so that i can figure out that it is believed or even somewhat proved that time is a dimension of it's own.

but in either case i don't think we would have to make a clock to live.Did homo habilis have a clock? hmm...but perhaps our comprehension of time, a dimension or whatever, is affected by our ability to change our environment faster.

Clocks are nothing but a tool. It is possible that culture somewhere in the galaxy to evolve without knowing how to make a clock, if fact humans did not always know how to make a clock.

But are you asking if is its possible for an intelligent species to evolve without the concept of time, that would be difficult to swallow. Time is such an inherant and vital part of the universe that if a intelligent species had no concept of it, I would have a difficulty labeling them as intelligent.

Deeviant said:
Clocks are nothing but a tool. It is possible that culture somewhere in the galaxy to evolve without knowing how to make a clock, if fact humans did not always know how to make a clock.

But are you asking if is its possible for an intelligent species to evolve without the concept of time, that would be difficult to swallow. Time is such an inherant and vital part of the universe that if a intelligent species had no concept of it, I would have a difficulty labeling them as intelligent.

Interesting, would you then be open to what some Physicists are advocating(?), that we can do away with the concept of Time?

Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
Interesting, would you then be open to what some Physicists are advocating(?), that we can do away with the concept of Time?

No, and I don't think they is what they are advocating. I would perhaps be open to the idea that time's direction and magnitude are not constant.

Light, Gravity, and other forms of Physics would not existence without a concept of time. Even in motion, you would not understand. I don't know if all animals on Earth have a definate concept of time, but they surely exist fine. And wisely, I believe. ****, alligators been around for what 400 millions years do you think they have a definative concept of time? Ferns? Intelligent or not is subjective. Wise or not is also. Knowledge is also.

1. Can life exist without the concept of time?

It is unlikely that life could exist without the concept of time. Time plays a crucial role in various biological processes such as growth, reproduction, and metabolism. Without time, these processes would not be able to occur in an organized and synchronized manner.

2. Would organisms without clocks have a different concept of time?

It is possible that organisms without clocks would have a different perception of time. Their concept of time would likely be more closely linked to natural cycles and rhythms, such as the rising and setting of the sun, rather than the precise measurements of hours and minutes.

3. How would the absence of clocks affect human behavior?

Without clocks, human behavior would likely be influenced by natural cues and rhythms, rather than strict schedules and deadlines. People may also have a more fluid perception of time, as opposed to the precise and rigid concept that is created by clocks.

4. Could technology and civilization still develop without clocks?

It is possible that technology and civilization could still develop without clocks, but it would likely be at a much slower pace. The discovery of clocks was a crucial step in the development of precise timekeeping and efficient scheduling, which have greatly influenced the advancement of society.

5. What would be the implications of a world without clocks?

A world without clocks would have significant implications for various aspects of life. It would require a major shift in the way we measure and organize time, and could potentially affect industries such as transportation, communication, and business. It would also have a profound impact on human behavior and the perception of time itself.