Help choosing Engineering field

In summary: If you don't like your coursework or if you are not happy in your major, then consider switching to something else.In summary, the engineer with the broadest knowledge and the most exposure to different disciplines is most likely to be successful in the current job market.
ZenOne
Hi, I'm currently filling out my application for engineering school (going back after completing most pre-reqs and completing my bachelors in behavioral neuroscience).

I did very well in math and physics up until now and practice difficult integration and physics problems for fun at this point (completed Cal I and Mechanics with an 88% average in both, which was at least 18% above the class average).

The problem I'm having is I find it ALL interesting. The only part of physics I found boring (but not necessarily difficult) was optics. I love math, complex problem sets in physics and studying the material. I'm looking for an engineering program that will provide me with decent job security in the future; I don't necessarily care if I make less money in one as opposed to the other but I do want to do something that does help society (I know all engineers do in one way or another).

Either way, my choices are narrowed down to the 3 most popular (or common)--mechanical, civil, and electrical (please no chemical as the one science subject I abhor is chemistry). I like the complex workings of both mech and elec but I also like the grandness of civil (bridges or major high-rises). Basically, since I like them all I'd be willing to do them all--my main concern is which one would provide me with the best job security and the most demand in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZenOne said:
Basically, since I like them all I'd be willing to do them all--my main concern is which one would provide me with the best job security and the most demand in the future?

None of them provide any job security, as they are not jobs. They are degrees that may or may not allow you to get a job.

Ok---put differently, which seems like it will be most in demand over the next 10 years or so?

Civil

I was thinking that too. Seems like it demands the most engineers (per project) out of all the fields.

crazyisraelie said:
Civil

Where'd you get that from? Lots of civil engineers aren't being hired right now.

Zen,

You didn't specify where you live, so I will point you to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. If you live elsewhere, look for the equivalent. This site documents in exhaustive detail how many engineers currently work in each field, and also forecasts future employment.

Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls.gov/oco/
Occupational Employment by Industry: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_109.htm

Here is a snapshot:

Civil engineers
2008 278.4 thousand
2018 345.9 thousand

Mechanical Engineers
2008 238.7 thousand
2018 253.1 thousand

You can see the projected job growth for civil engineering in the US is higher than for mechanical engineering. I encourage you to use the available data to guide your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. I'm in Canada but I'm definitely willing to move for my career.

Computer, Electrical, and Environmental Engineering. I know Enviro is reported in those statistics, but Electrical and Computer Engineering is definitely on the rise. The internet only gained popularity ten years ago and consumer electronics is evolving faster than ever. I've found it not too difficult to find internship opportunities in ECE.

As a ME major, I would have to suggest that you study something else so that there is one less person for me to compete with (completely joking).

I myself was originally studying EE until I researched bls.gov (which has also been mentioned). They show a 3% overall job growth over the next 10 years in the U.S., which is pretty dismal. Though this statistic seems way off with the explosion of the electronic market, many annalist believe that many of the jobs an American (or Canadian) EE are being outsourced to other countries for cheaper labor. This simply was not something I wanted to possibly deal with in coming years.

I chose ME because, like you, I really didn't know exactly what I wanted go into. What was really attractive about ME was the diversity of the discipline. My coursework includes multiple EE and CE classes, along with courses in materials and other things. This is going to give me a board outreach for jobs in almost any area of engineering. Also, it will give you a chance to explore some lower level engineering courses to see if you really like, or dislike, a certain discipline. Your declared major is rarely written in stone.

I have a brother that is a PE and he told me that he actually works with more MEs than anything because of their broad knowledge. I suppose the downside to this is that you may up being second best at everything.

With the economy right now, I would have to suggest that you don't "paint yourself in a corner". Meaning, don't become too specialized in something because if there are not any job openings for what you are really good at then it really won't mean much.

Thank you Sydney--that was by far the most complete answer.

What is the difference between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and devices, such as engines, vehicles, and machinery. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. While both fields involve problem-solving and the use of math and science principles, mechanical engineering is more focused on physical systems while electrical engineering deals with the flow of electricity and the design of electrical components.

Which engineering field has the most job opportunities?

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the engineering field with the most job opportunities is civil engineering. This is due to the increasing need for infrastructure development and maintenance, such as bridges, roads, and buildings. Mechanical and electrical engineering also have a high demand for professionals, especially in the fields of manufacturing and technology.

What skills are important for a successful career in engineering?

Some important skills for a successful engineering career include strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, excellent math and science skills, attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to work in a team. It is also important for engineers to be adaptable and continuously learn new technologies and techniques in their field.

What are some emerging fields of engineering?

Some emerging fields of engineering include biomedical engineering, renewable energy engineering, and computer engineering. These fields are becoming increasingly important as technology and sustainability continue to advance. Biomedical engineering combines principles of engineering and biology to develop medical devices and technologies. Renewable energy engineering focuses on the design and implementation of sustainable energy sources, such as solar and wind power. Computer engineering involves the development and improvement of computer systems and software.

How can I determine which engineering field is right for me?

To determine which engineering field is right for you, it is important to research and explore different areas of engineering, talk to professionals in the field, and consider your interests and strengths. You can also take career assessments or internships to gain hands-on experience and get a better understanding of different engineering fields. It is also helpful to consider the job market and the potential for growth and advancement in a particular field.