Doubt regarding silicon waffers and silicon diodes

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion regarding the characteristics of silicon diodes and wafers. The speaker mentions that they have tested the same characteristics with both and they behave similarly. They are seeking help in understanding the differences between the two and their use in diode operations. They also mention discussing this with their lab instructor, who is new to the lab. The conversation then shifts to discussing the VI and CV characteristics of a small silicon detector from a wafer and raising questions about the accuracy of the measurement and the importance of leakage current and full depletion. The speaker asks for suggestions on how to approach these questions and suggests posting in a specific forum for help.
rama1001
Hi,
basically i am confused about the characteristricts of silicon diodes and waffers. As i know the VI @ CV characterstricts of the diode. But i tested the same characterstricts with silicon waffers which behaves perfectly same as like diodes. Mainly i need to know about the difference between theese two, If both are same why can't we use small piece in waffers in the place diode in diode operations. i want help towards differences between the two. As accoding to my lab instructor they both are same but he is new to that lab. So, i am bit not agree.
and more on ...

we wached VI and CV characetsticts of small silicon detector from silicon waffer. that charterstics are equal to the diode charcerstics. But i have doubt abot some questions in the process.

1)What is important to think about in the physical environment to get an accurate measurement?
How large is the leakage current at full depletion? What is full depletion? Why is it important to have a small leakage current?

could anyone give suggestions for above?...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest placing this in Homework Help, or Solid State.

1. What are silicon wafers and what are they used for?

Silicon wafers are thin discs made of pure silicon, a chemical element commonly used in the production of electronic devices. They are used as the base material for creating integrated circuits, microchips, and other electronic components.

2. What is the difference between a silicon wafer and a silicon diode?

A silicon wafer is a raw material used in the production of electronic devices, while a silicon diode is a specific type of electronic component made from silicon wafers. Diodes are used to regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit, while wafers are used as the foundation for creating these and other types of electronic components.

3. How are silicon wafers and diodes made?

Silicon wafers are made through a process called crystal growth, where pure silicon is melted and then slowly cooled to form a large, single crystal. The crystal is then sliced into thin wafers. Diodes are made by doping, which involves adding impurities to the silicon wafer to create the desired electrical properties.

4. What are some common applications of silicon wafers and diodes?

Silicon wafers and diodes are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, solar panels, and LED lights. They are also used in medical devices, aerospace technology, and automotive electronics.

5. Can silicon wafers and diodes be recycled?

Yes, both silicon wafers and diodes can be recycled. The recycling process involves melting down the materials and extracting the pure silicon for reuse in new electronic devices. This helps reduce waste and conserve natural resources.