TE mode in rectangular wave guide

B_y component is zero. This may be confusing because the component itself is marked with the same letter as the corresponding B component, but it is actually the perpendicular component due to the cross product. Overall, this is due to the TE mode and the specific form of the electric and magnetic fields.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I'm following Jackson and solving the problem, but I came to a bump.

I've found [tex]B_z[/tex] component of the field (for the lowest mode [tex]\omega_{10}[/tex]), and since it's TE mode I should use:

[tex]\vec{E}_t=-\frac{\omega}{ck}\vec{e}_3\times\vec{B}_t [/tex]
[tex]\vec{B}_t=\frac{ik}{\gamma^2}\nabla_t B_z [/tex]

So I get that [tex]B_y=0[/tex] because the [tex]B_z[/tex] doesn't depend on the y in the lowest mode.

But how do I get [tex]E_y[/tex] and not [tex]E_x[/tex] component (The Jackson says that [tex]E_y[/tex] is the non vanishing component)?

It should be [tex]\vec{E}_x=-\frac{\omega}{ck}\hat{z}\times\vec{B}_x[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}_y=-\frac{\omega}{ck}\hat{z}\times\vec{B}_y[/tex] and since [tex]\vec{B}_y=0[/tex] then [tex]\vec{E}_y=0[/tex] should be zero, no?

It's probably due to this cross product but I cannot see why :( Help...EDIT:

Or is it because [tex]\hat{z}\times\hat{x}=\hat{y}[/tex] and that means I get the y component of the field? Because it's kinda silly way of marking this (the component itself without the unit vector is just a number and we mark it with the same letter - [tex]E_x[/tex] goes with [tex]B_x[/tex], but it's in fact the [tex]E_y[/tex] because of the [tex]\hat{y}[/tex] - it seems kinda messed up :\)...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations\vec{E}_t=-\frac{\omega}{ck}\vec{e}_3\times\vec{B}_t \vec{B}_t=\frac{ik}{\gamma^2}\nabla_t B_z The Attempt at a SolutionThe cross product \hat{z}\times\hat{x}=\hat{y} so the E_y component is non-vanishing, while the E_x will be zero

1. What is TE mode in rectangular wave guide?

TE mode, or transverse electric mode, is a type of electromagnetic wave propagation that occurs in rectangular wave guides. In this mode, the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while the magnetic field is parallel to the direction of propagation.

2. How is TE mode different from TM mode in rectangular wave guide?

The main difference between TE mode and TM mode, or transverse magnetic mode, is the direction of the electric and magnetic fields. In TE mode, the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in TM mode, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

3. What are the characteristics of TE mode in rectangular wave guide?

TE mode has a cutoff frequency, which is the lowest frequency at which the mode can propagate. It also has a characteristic impedance, which is the ratio of the electric to magnetic field strength. Additionally, TE mode has a specific wave propagation velocity and a specific wavelength.

4. What are some applications of TE mode in rectangular wave guide?

TE mode is commonly used in microwave and radio frequency systems, such as satellite communication and radar systems. It is also utilized in wave guide components such as filters, couplers, and attenuators.

5. How do you calculate the cutoff frequency of TE mode in rectangular wave guide?

The cutoff frequency of TE mode can be calculated using the formula fc = c / 2a, where c is the speed of light and a is the shorter side of the rectangular wave guide. This frequency represents the point at which the mode can no longer propagate in the wave guide.