Flip-Flops and Shift Registers

• Thread starter topgun08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the D flip-flop has an AND gate that sets the next state according to the values of Q1, Q2, and Q3.
topgun08

Homework Statement

For the system of Fig. 1, construct a complete state diagram showing all 16
states of the system. Your diagram should have 16 circles, numbered 0000
through 1111, connected with arrows showing which state each state goes to
after one tick of the clock. Interestingly, this system has a limit cycle: that is, no
matter which state it starts in, it ends up going repetitively through the same
sequence of states. Find the limit cycle.

[PLAIN]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9949/bahphaadm.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9949/bahphaadm.jpg

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a really hard time understanding these flip-flops. My book does not cover it in length. While I'm looking to complete this problem I am more interested in the technique to solving this type of problem over the actual answer.

I think that the clock starts at time 0, and all the Q's are in rest at 0, but what's the deal with that AND gate at the top?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
topgun08 said:

Homework Statement

For the system of Fig. 1, construct a complete state diagram showing all 16
states of the system. Your diagram should have 16 circles, numbered 0000
through 1111, connected with arrows showing which state each state goes to
after one tick of the clock. Interestingly, this system has a limit cycle: that is, no
matter which state it starts in, it ends up going repetitively through the same
sequence of states. Find the limit cycle.

[PLAIN]http://image.bayimg.com/bahphaadm.jpg

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a really hard time understanding these flip-flops. My book does not cover it in length. While I'm looking to complete this problem I am more interested in the technique to solving this type of problem over the actual answer.

I think that the clock starts at time 0, and all the Q's are in rest at 0, but what's the deal with that AND gate at the top?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

The figure in your post is not being displayed. Can you repost it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The way a D flip-flop works is that at each rising clock what is on the D input is transferred to the output: Q+ = D. The AND gate gives the feedback loop. In this case

D1 = Q1'Q2'Q3'

That tells you D1 will only be 1 when Q1, Q2, and Q3 are all 0. And since the Q outputs are connected directly to the D inputs of the next flip-flop, it is easy to see what the next state will be. If you start with the state

Q1Q2Q3Q4 = 0000

what will D1 be and what will the next state be?

What are flip-flops and shift registers?

Flip-flops and shift registers are electronic devices used for storing and manipulating digital data. They are composed of a series of electronic gates, such as NAND or NOR gates, and can be used for a variety of functions including data storage, counters, and data shift operations.

What is the difference between a flip-flop and a shift register?

A flip-flop is a single bit of memory that can store either a 0 or a 1. A shift register is a series of flip-flops that can store multiple bits of data and shift them in a specific direction. Essentially, a shift register is composed of multiple flip-flops.

How do flip-flops and shift registers work?

Flip-flops and shift registers work by using electronic gates to store and manipulate digital data. A flip-flop will store a bit of data, and multiple flip-flops can be connected together to create a shift register. The data is shifted through the register by changing the input to each flip-flop, causing the data to move in a specific direction.

What are the applications of flip-flops and shift registers?

Flip-flops and shift registers have a wide range of applications in digital electronics. They are commonly used for data storage, counters, and data shift operations in computer memory, digital clocks, and communication systems. They are also used in more complex systems such as microprocessors and digital signal processors.

What are some common types of flip-flops and shift registers?

Some common types of flip-flops include D flip-flops, T flip-flops, JK flip-flops, and RS flip-flops. These differ in their inputs and outputs, allowing for different functions. Some common types of shift registers include serial-in-parallel-out (SIPO), parallel-in-serial-out (PISO), serial-in-serial-out (SISO), and parallel-in-parallel-out (PIPO) shift registers.