Sunlight equivalent light bulb

In summary, to reproduce the average intensity of direct sunlight on a warm summer day, a full spectrum light bulb would need to generate between 700-1400 watts per square meter. However, due to energy loss and the need to simulate sunlight on a close object, the bulb would need to be many thousands of watts. It may be more helpful to join a photography forum for assistance with finding a suitable bulb.
vinniewryan
If the 'average' intensity of direct sunlight on a warm summer day could be re-produced in a full spectrum light bulb, how many watts would that bulb be? I'm trying to find a bulb I can use to calibrate a photo sensor to sunlight intensity but my shop is on the base floor where there are no windows, and it's Seattle- no sunlight here.

I've searched google, all I get are light bulb ads. No useful info there.

Science news on Phys.org
You will need to generate between 700 - 1400 watts per square meter. The bulb itself would need to be many thousands of watts to simulate sunlight on an object very close to it. Also keep in mind any energy lost to heating up the bulb.

you may be better off joining a photography forum :smile:

1. What is a sunlight equivalent light bulb?

A sunlight equivalent light bulb is a type of light bulb that is designed to mimic the qualities of natural sunlight. This means that the light emitted by the bulb closely resembles the color and intensity of sunlight, providing a more natural and comfortable lighting experience.

2. How does a sunlight equivalent light bulb work?

A sunlight equivalent light bulb works by using special coatings and filters to alter the color temperature and spectrum of the light it emits. This allows it to produce a light that is similar to natural sunlight, which is important for tasks that require accurate color perception, such as reading or applying makeup.

3. What are the benefits of using a sunlight equivalent light bulb?

Some of the benefits of using a sunlight equivalent light bulb include improved mood and energy levels, reduced eye strain and fatigue, and better color perception. These bulbs can also be helpful for those who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and need access to bright, natural light during the darker months.

4. Are sunlight equivalent light bulbs more energy-efficient?

Sunlight equivalent light bulbs may be more energy-efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs, but they are not necessarily more energy-efficient than other types of bulbs, such as LED or CFL. It's important to compare the energy usage and efficiency of different bulbs before making a purchase.

5. Can sunlight equivalent light bulbs be used as a replacement for natural sunlight?

No, sunlight equivalent light bulbs are not a replacement for natural sunlight. While they can provide a similar quality of light, they do not emit the same levels of UV radiation that are necessary for certain biological functions in humans, such as vitamin D production. It's important to still spend time outdoors and expose yourself to natural sunlight for optimal health.