Minimum number of edges in a graph of order n with chromatic number k

In summary, the minimum number of edges in a k-chromatic connected graph of order n is equal to \left(\begin{array}{c} k \\2 \end{array} \right) +n -k. This can be proven by using K_k, the complete graph with k vertices, and the fact that if \chi (M) = k, then adding a vertex with degree less than k will not change the chromatic number. Another approach could be to prove Hadwiger's conjecture, which would result in an easy corollary.
math8
What is the minimum number of edges in a [itex]k[/itex]-chromatic connected graph of order [itex]n[/itex]?

I have read somewhere that this number is equal to [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c} k \\2 \end{array} \right) +n -k [/itex]

I was thinking about using [itex]K_k[/itex], the complete graph with [itex]k[/itex] vertices. We know that the number of edges in [itex]K_k[/itex] is equal to [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c} k \\2 \end{array} \right)[/itex].

Also, I wanted to use the fact that if [itex]\chi (M) = k[/itex] i.e. the chromatic number of a graph [itex]M[/itex] is equal to [itex]k[/itex], and if a vertex [itex]v[/itex] has degree strictly less than [itex]k[/itex], then the chromatic number of ( [itex]M[/itex] together with [itex]v[/itex] and its edges) is also equal to [itex]k.[/itex]

I am not sure how start, I need help organizing my ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you solve it?

One approach could be to prove Hadwiger's conjecture, then it would be an easy corollary.

HTH

1. What is the minimum number of edges in a graph of order n with chromatic number k?

The minimum number of edges in a graph of order n with chromatic number k is n(k-1)/2. This means that for every k vertices, there must be at least n(k-1)/2 edges in the graph.

2. How is the minimum number of edges calculated for a graph with a given order and chromatic number?

The minimum number of edges in a graph of order n with chromatic number k is calculated using the formula n(k-1)/2. This formula takes into account both the number of vertices and the number of colors needed to properly color the graph.

3. Is the minimum number of edges the same for all graphs with the same order and chromatic number?

No, the minimum number of edges can vary for graphs with the same order and chromatic number. This is because the arrangement of edges and vertices can affect the minimum number of edges needed.

4. How does the minimum number of edges change as the order and chromatic number of a graph increase?

The minimum number of edges increases as both the order and chromatic number of a graph increase. This is because a larger number of vertices and colors require more edges to properly color the graph without adjacent vertices having the same color.

5. Can the minimum number of edges in a graph be lower than the calculated value?

No, the minimum number of edges cannot be lower than the calculated value of n(k-1)/2. This is the minimum number of edges needed to properly color the graph without any adjacent vertices having the same color. Any lower number of edges would result in an improperly colored graph.